This Buttermilk Pie recipe is a classic dessert that’s easy to make with simple pantry ingredients.
This pie has a sweet tangy flavor with a custard-like texture and is delicious served chilled or at room temperature.
Why You’ll Love This Classic
- It’s super easy to make.
- It’s a bit different than the usual pies we serve but so flavorful.
- This version has a slight lemon flavor from the juice but this recipe can be changed by adding extracts.
- It needs to cool completely before serving making it the perfect make ahead dessert.
What is Buttermilk Pie?
Buttermilk pie is an American favorite originating from the southern states. It’s sometimes referred to as chess pie, or even sugar cream pie. It’s has a vanilla flavor (or a slight hint of citrus if you use lemon juice).
The texture of buttermilk pie is similar to a thick custard a slightly caramelized top, so good! I have an old box of vintage recipes loaded with tons of classic desserts and that’s where this recipe came from.
What’s in Buttermilk Pie?
You don’t need a lot of fancy ingredients to create something amazing and you’ll likely have everything you need on hand for this dessert.
BUTTERMILK Of course this pie has buttermilk but it can be made without it! We make a buttermilk substitute with milk (1 cup) and vinegar or lemon juice (1 tablespoon).
You can also mix plain yogurt or sour cream with water/milk until it has the consistency of buttermilk.
PIE CRUST For ease and speed, use a pre-made crust or make this Flaky Homemade Pie Crust if time allows. With a store bought pie crust, it’s ready to go in the oven in under 10 minutes!
FLAVOR This recipe calls for vanilla, lemon juice (fresh squeezed is best), and nutmeg.
How to Make Buttermilk Pie
It’s so easy to make this recipe.
- Beat eggs until foamy. Add butter, sugar, and flour.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Pour into a pie crust and bake (per the recipe below.)
You’ll know it’s done when it has a browned caramelized sugar coating with a very slightly “jiggly” center. Insert a toothpick to make sure it comes out clean.
How to Store
Buttermilk pie should be stored in the refrigerator, and it tastes great chilled but can be set out to warm slightly before serving too.
This pie can be frozen. Freeze in double wrapped slices, or double wrap and freeze the entire pie. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight and serve warm or chilled with Whipped Cream or Easy Caramel Sauce.
Favorite Pie Recipes
- Pumpkin Cheesecake – full of warm fall spices
- Easy Banana Cream Pie
- Easy Pecan Pie – made without corn syrup
- Rhubarb Pie – sweet and tart
- Fresh Homemade Apple Pie
Did you enjoy this Buttermilk Pie? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Easy Buttermilk Pie
- 1 9 inch unbaked pie crust store-bought or homemade
- 3 eggs room temperature
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 9″ pie plate with unbaked pie crust.
- Beat eggs in a bowl until foamy. Beat in butter, sugar, and flour until fluffy.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Pour into prepared crust and bake for 45-55 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!