Breakfast enchiladas are a fully loaded make-ahead breakfast. They’re perfect for lazy weekends, guests, holidays, or even for ‘breakfast for dinner’!
Ham (or sausage), veggies and cheese are wrapped in tortillas and topped with a seasoned egg mixture. After resting overnight, it all bakes together for the perfect meal.
Top Breakfast Casserole
Sometimes breakfast can get into a rut with the same old things every day, & making a hot breakfast seems like a lot of work. That’s why we love this breakfast enchilada recipe.
It’s an easy make-ahead breakfast casserole to start the week off right! It’s hot and fresh with a kick of spice, great for weekend brunches.
Ingredients & Variations
MEAT Diced ham is a great addition to these enchiladas, but feel free to add sausage, bacon, beef, or chicken!
If you’d prefer, keep it vegetarian and add extra veggies to the diced peppers!
TORTILLAS You can use either flour or corn tortillas. While I make traditional enchiladas with corn tortillas, in this recipe I prefer flour. Remember to warm your tortillas first to keep them from cracking as you roll them.
How to Make Breakfast Enchiladas
Just a few steps and you’ll be on your way to breakfast perfection!
- Whisk egg mixture together (per recipe below) and set aside.
- Saute veggies and add in diced ham.
- Roll tortillas with veggie mixture, add cheese, place in a casserole dish.
- Cover with egg mixture and refrigerate overnight.
In the morning all that’s left to do is preheat the oven and bake the breakfast casserole, adding remainder of cheese in the middle of the baking time! Serve hot and bubbly with toast or hashbrowns and some citrus fruit. Yumminess!
Tips for the Best Breakfast Casserole
- Part of the magic of this recipe is that the flavors have a chance to meld. Tortillas will soak in the egg mixture and get slightly puffy during the baking process adding great texture.
- Be sure to cook casserole just until the eggs set.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days, and reheated in the oven or microwave. Refresh with favorite toppings, and serve with a thick slice of toast with butter for a hearty breakfast any day of the week!
Other Great Breakfast Dishes
- Blueberry Pancakes – classic favorite
- Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole – hearty & cheesy
- Cheesy Breakfast Pizza – make ahead
- Ham & Spinach Frittata – healthy & easy
- Blueberry French Toast Bake – with creamy custard
Did you love these Breakfast Enchiladas? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ red bell pepper finely diced
- ½ green bell pepper finely diced
- 2 cups ham diced
- 8 tortillas 8" each
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 3-4 dashes hot sauce such as Tobasco
- salt & pepper to taste
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, cook onion, garlic and bell peppers in oil over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in ham.
- Place ¼ cup of ham mixture and 3 tablespoons of cheese on the end of a tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in prepared pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Whisk eggs, milk, flour, oregano, hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Pour over tortillas. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove pan from fridge while the oven preheats, about 20 minutes.
- Bake covered for 35 minutes. Remove foil and top with remaining cheese. Bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until eggs are set. Serve with sour cream, salsa and toppings as desired.