Mushroom Barley Risotto is unique and elegant. Pearl barley is cooked with mushrooms and garlic and mixed with parmesan cheese for a creamy and savory flavor!
What is Pearl Barley Risotto?
Traditionally, risotto is made with Arborio rice which is a short grain rice. Arborio rice requires constant monitoring on the stovetop. Pearl barley, however, is less expensive and easier to work with.
Pearl barley gives this dish a creamy texture similar to a classic risotto but has a slightly nuttier, more brown rice-like flavor. Paired with mushrooms and a dash of truffle oil, this barley risotto simple and delicious!
Truffle oil is optional but if you enjoy the flavor, it can be ordered online. A very small bottle (which will run about $12-14) lasts me forever since you just need to add a couple of drops to pastas, butters or risotto (or toss with french fries or popcorn).
How to Make Risotto
This recipe uses pearl barley instead of the traditional Arborio rice for a nutty flavor!
- Cook onions and mushrooms until tender (per recipe below). Add barley.
- Add liquids and simmer, stirring occasionally, until barley is tender and the risotto has a creamy consistency.
- Stir in cheese and season to taste. Finish with a dash of truffle oil if desired.
What to Serve with Barley Risotto
Wild mushroom barley risotto makes a perfect side dish for any kind of protein like beef, chicken, pork or even a heavy fish like a salmon filet. All you need is a crisp tossed salad with tomatoes, a veggie side like roasted brussels sprouts and a slice of thick, crusty garlic bread!
Storing the Leftovers
Mushroom barley risotto keeps well in the fridge for about 5 days. Heat in the microwave or on the stove top adding a bit of water or broth if needed.
- Easy Rice Pilaf – tasty one-pot side dish!
- Dirty Rice – southern comfort food staple
- Garlic Butter Kale Rice – 4 ingredient rice!
- Broccoli Rice Casserole – made from scratch
Mushroom Barley Risotto
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms cleaned and sliced (Use your choice of cremini, white, portebello)
- 3-4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese finely shredded
- ½ tablespoon truffle oil (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan. Add onion and cook 4 minutes until soft.
- Add mushrooms & garlic and cook 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Add barley and cook 2 minutes.
- Pour in white wine and cook until evaporated
- Add 3 cups of chicken broths and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 55 minutes until liquid evaporates stirring occasionally. If liquid evaporates before barley is cooked, add remaining broth.
- Once barley is soft, stir in ½ of the cheese, salt and parsley.
- Top with remaining cheese and if desired, truffle oil.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!