Bacon Wrapped Green Bean Bundles. Tender crisp green beans wrapped in bacon and brushed with a simple brown sugar glaze.
These are easy enough for a weeknight meal and pretty enough to impress your guests alongside a steak dinner! We have veggies with every single meal. I sometimes skip the starch, once in a while I skip meat but we ALWAYS have a vegetable side dish.
Bacon Wrapped Green Beans
My go to is either broccoli (especially roasted broccoli) or spaghetti squash. As much as I love steamed or stir-fried veggies, there is just something amazing about roasted vegetables. The caramelization adds so much flavor yet there is very little work involved and they take an everyday plain vegetable and somehow make it taste fancy. (Yeah, I consider fancy a flavor)
These bacon green bean bundles are no exception. They’re absolutely delicious and so simple to make (and can be prepped ahead of time). Easy enough for a weeknight meal and elegant enough to serve to your guests alongside a steak dinner!
Bacon Wrapped Green Beans start with fresh green beans (of course), washed, trimmed and they’re cooked for just a few of minutes. A little trick I learned at culinary boot camp is that adding a little pinch of baking soda to the boiling water keeps the beans a nice bright green rather than that drab boiled green color.
Next the green beans are wrapped in bacon which has been slightly cooked. While I do it in a pan you can also purchase precooked bacon to make this recipe extra quick (also amazing for fast BLTs and on top of salads).
Once they’re bundled and ready to go, they’re brushed with a simple brown sugar glaze making to add just a hint of sweetness and make them caramelize.
Oh and a note… you may want to double check that your toothpicks are not cinnamon flavored.. Yeah, um… that happened once. Oops.
Green Bean Bundles!
- Green beans (about 1 1/2 lbs) 6-8 beans per bundle
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook bacon on the stovetop until slightly cooked (You don't want it crispy). Reserve any drippings.
- Trim and wash green beans. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add baking soda. Add green beans and cook 3 minutes until tender crisp. Remove from boiling water and place in a bowl of ice water to stop cooking.
- Dab beans dry and toss with reserved bacon drippings (about 2 teaspoons), garlic powder and salt & pepper to taste.
- Cut each slice of bacon in half and wrap around about 6-8 green beans, secure with a toothpick and place on a parchment lined pan.
- Combine brown sugar with 1 tablespoon of water and lightly brush over each bundle.
- Roast 20-22 minutes or until bacon is crisp and beans are lightly roasted.