Air fryer chicken: Crispy skin, juicy meat, and so easy to make. My new favorite way to cook chicken is in the air fryer.
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs are healthy, hearty and full of flavor, but require almost zero prep work, and are super versatile. You can put a new spin on them with a fun sauce. Eat them as-is for a crispy skin “fried chicken” experience, or debone and use in salads, tacos, etc. Suitable for Keto, Gluten-Free, and Low Carb diets.
We also really love air fryer chicken wings, air fryer chicken breast, air fryer chicken drumsticks… you name it, we love it!
I love this air fryer fried chicken. It is such a simple recipe of just chicken with some salt and pepper to season it. Then you cook it in the air fryer and let the flavors of the chicken really shine through. But what is so great about air fryer chicken recipes is that the chicken is moist (I know you hate that word), and juicy. And most important–versatile.
This chicken is so perfectly cooked it becomes a go-to staple for making dishes with chicken in them. And like these oven baked chicken wings, it is a great vehicle for hosting your favorite sauces. Of course, you could add more seasonings, but if I am going to add a sauce I keep to salt and pepper.
- Want BBQ chicken? Great, add BBQ sauce.
- Want an Asian sauce? Great, how about an oyster sauce or Hoison based sauce?
- Want to use the chicken in a wrap? Debone it and add your favorite extra ingredients.
- Or try using some paprika, garlic, and brown sugar in the rub, and eat a Mesquite chicken.
What is an Air Fryer?
An air fryer is basically a small convection oven. Check them out here on Amazon or in stores selling small appliances. It uses the same technology for circulating air and evaporating the moisture from the exterior of food to fry said food. The fan in the unit pushes hot air around the food, and it creates a crisp exterior, much like as if it were fried in oil. Only it is healthier because you can skip the oil.
Because it is such a compact space, with most air fryers being 5 quarts of less, it facilitates faster, more even cooking.
Basically, it is a countertop fryer without oil. And it is so much fun to use. The biggest downside is the smaller capacity, but there are models that have a larger capacity.
Honestly, I bought two because I want to be able to make this chicken, along with fries too!
I love that I can make fried chicken without all the added calories from the frying oil.
How Long do you Air Fry Chicken?
How long you air fry chicken depends on a few factors:
- Bone in or out
- Skin on or off
- What heat you cook at
Generally speaking, air frying chicken at 350 degrees F takes roughly 20 minutes. But you always want to check the temperature of the chicken to make sure it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
How Do You Make Crispy Chicken in an Air Fryer?
Using the air fryer is going to help you get a nice crispy-skinned chicken without too much effort. But there are a few things to keep in mind.
- Flip halfway through. If you want even crispiness, flip the chicken over partway through the cooking time. I like to start cooking mine skin side down, then flip it over to finish it with the skin up.
- Pat the skin dry before air frying. While the technology in the air fryer will circulate the air and help evaporate the moisture on the skin, you will get a crispier skin if you take time to remove some of that moisture yourself. Pat it dry with a paper towel before air frying.
- Salt the skin of the chicken. For a great crispy, crunchy skin on your air fryer chicken, add a little salt. In this recipe, I kept it super simple with just salt and pepper, but you could add paprika, garlic, even a little brown sugar, parsley, oregano, or any of your favorite spices. I rubbed some down with curry powder a while ago and it was delicious. For this recipe, however, I kept it simple so the chicken could be dressed with a sauce after cooking.
If you are going to add a sauce after cooking, one thing to keep in mind is that sometimes the best sauces are the ones that are sticky and shiny, because the sugars in the sauce melt and are crystallized. To achieve this with your air fryer chicken, simple pop the chicken back into the air fryer after saucing it, and cook for 2-3 minutes to allow the sauce to caramelize. Think of it like broiling it.
What Should I Serve with Air Fryer Chicken?
Oven baked steak fries are my favorite, and you could even pop these in an air fryer too for a crispy exterior and pillowy soft interior.
A beautiful easy kale salad is always a welcome addition to a crispy skinned, juicy chicken thigh.
Classic wedge salad is also really delicious with this air fryer chicken recipe.
More Recipes to Serve With Air Fried Chicken
- Sauteed Brussel Sprouts
- Crispy Zucchini Fries (oven baked)
- Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
- Baked Asparagus Fries with Lemon Aioli
- Crispy Oven Fries
- Green Bean Fries
- Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
Did you enjoy this Air Fryer Chicken Thigh Recipe? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Air Fryer Chicken
- 4 chicken thighs with bones and skin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Pat chicken thighs dry with a paper towel, then sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Set air fryer to 350°F.
- Place the chicken thighs in the air fryer basket, making sure there is room between them.
- Put basket into the air fryer, and close it. Then start the air fryer. Cook in air fryer for 18-22 minutes.
- Flip chicken thighs at 10 minutes, and cook for additional 8 minutes.
- Use a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken, cook until it reaches 165 degrees F.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Do yourself a favor and make this totally versatile, and absolutely delicious air fryer chicken thigh recipe and see for yourself how easy it is to customize and personalize.
thanks holly i love chiken
How should I do skinless chicken legs/thighs?
I haven’t tried this with skinless chicken. The cook time should remain the same however I can’t say for sure how the texture of the exterior will be. Enjoy the recipe Anne!
Can I cook the chicken thighs in air fryer then put in crockpot on low?
If you cook the chicken thighs in the air fryer and they are fully cooked they may dry out in the slow cooker. Are you just looking to keep them warm?
Definitely needs to cook longer than the recipe says. I did the 350 for 20 minutes and it still wasn’t done enough. Otherwise, was pretty decent.
The chicken thigh recipe is so easy. My air fryer took longer but the chicken thighs were a little bigger. Took 30 minutes to cook so meat registered 165 degrees. That is still better than the oven. I used seasoning salt and loved the chicken flavor. Thanks!!
First time visiting this website. love it. Recipes are
varied and simple. Thanks.
Worked perfectly. Put on our own dry rub, bone in skin on thighs. Cooked 18 min, flipped then added zucchini slices dunked in egg then battered in pankos and parm cheese to the tray. Airfried for another 10 min. Chicken was crispy and cooked through. Set aside for 2 min while flipped the zucchini which cooked 2 more minutes. Delish quick dinner.
I’m not a big fan of chicken thighs or wings. I would like to do this with chicken breasts. What do I need to change from this recipe?
If your chicken is thinner than a thigh you will likely need to cook a few moments less. Be sure to check them temperature before serving Chris!
can you send me the recipe for chicken breast done in a air fryer
Hi Ralph, you can try following this recipe but with chicken breasts. If your chicken is thinner than a thigh you may need to decrease your cooking time. You can check to see if your chicken is ready by making sure the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Can you tell us which Air-Fryer you purchased?? There are so many I don’ t have a clue which one is better! Would greatly appreciate your feed back regarding this appliance. Thank You! :)
What air fryer do you have?
Hi Peggy, I have both of these air fryers that I love to use. A Breville Air Fryer and a Ninja Air Fryer.
Can you dip chicken in a batter and put it in the air fryer?
Wet batter doesn’t do well in an air fryer.