Love it? Pin it to SAVE it!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great recipes!
This delicious corn bread is flavored with mild chiles and fresh corn giving it a little extra flavor!
Not only is it easy to make, it bakes up light and fluffy every time!
To remove the corn kernels, you can use a Corn Kerneler or a knife. This recipe uses buttermilk… if you don’t have buttermilk you can substitute it with sour milk! Place 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar into a 1 cup measuring cup. Top to 1 cup with milk and let it sit 5 minutes.
Serves: 10 servings
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 fresh corn on the cob, kernels removed with a Corn Kerneler or knife (or 1 cup frozen corn, defrosted)
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup butter, melted (plus 1 tablespoon for greasing the pan)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 can mild green chiles, drained
- ¼ cup diced red pepper
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk and melted butter.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to a a 10" cast iron skillet and place in the oven.
- Meanwhile, pour the buttermilk mixture into the corn meal and stir just until most of the mix is moist. Add in chiles, fresh corn, peppers & ½ cup cheese.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and pour the batter into the pan. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.