This easy Strawberry Sauce is made with just a few ingredients and fresh or frozen strawberries!
Homemade Strawberry Sauce
With strawberry season upon us, this easy strawberry sauce is one of the best ways we’re enjoying them!
Strawberries really are so much better through the Spring and Summer, so we try to pick or buy as much as we can when the time is right.
Ready in under 30 minutes, this recipe is perfect to whip up for breakfast or an easy dessert! Or keep some prepared in the fridge to enjoy at a moment’s notice…or with a spoon when no one’s watching. We won’t tell!
Another great thing about this Strawberry Sauce is that it’s just as good with frozen berries, so you can easily get your fix through the winter if you need it.
How to Make Strawberry Sauce
This simple sauce is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Prep: Clean and chop or slice the strawberries (per recipe below)
Make your sauce extra chunky by chopping the strawberries into larger pieces, or smooth by dicing them into smaller pieces!
- Simmer: Add sugar and berries to the pan and simmer until softened.
- Thicken: Whisk in cornstarch to thicken and let cool slightly!
You can serve warm from the pan, or refrigerate to serve later.
Can I Use Frozen Strawberries?
You can absolutely use frozen strawberries in this recipe, and I do all through the winter when fresh just aren’t up to par.
You can thaw the frozen strawberries before adding to the pan or leave them frozen.
Just be sure to keep the heat on low until they thaw, and add a corn starch slurry to thicken if the frozen berries release too much liquid.
Feel free to get creative with the recipe and make it your own!
- Use half strawberries and half rhubarb for strawberry rhubarb sauce
- Mix and match berries you have on hand to come up with your own combination
- Add the zest of a lemon before serving for extra zing
- Slice in some fresh strawberries just before serving for extra chunky strawberry sauce
- If you don’t like your strawberry sauce overly sweet, or your berries are very sweet, you can try reducing the sugar to 1/4 or 1/3 to start, and adding more after tasting if you need it.
Ways to Use This Strawberry Sauce
- Banana Pancakes – with strawberry sauce and whipped cream!
- Whole Wheat Pancakes – healthier weekend breakfast option
- Fluffy Homemade Waffles – perfect piled on top!
- No Churn Ice Cream – with a drizzle of fresh and fruity strawberry sauce
- Instant Pot Oatmeal – quick and easy breakfast
- Easy Pavlova Recipe – drizzle on top of the berries and whipped cream!
How do you use this Strawberry Sauce? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 2 pound fresh strawberries
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Wash strawberries well, remove the tops and chop into half inch pieces.
- Place in a large saucepan with sugar and cook on medium heat, stirring often, until berries are softened and there is a lot of juice in the pan (15-25 minutes, depending on the size of your berries and the size of your pan).
- Stir together cornstarch and water and add to the strawberries while it is still simmering. Stir until thickened.
- Stir in vanilla and remove from heat.
- Let cool slightly before serving warm, or let cool to room temperature and refrigerate to serve later.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!