Cinnamon Toast Cake is a family favorite recipe. Simple ingredients you already have on hand make a soft and buttery cake with a crunchy cinnamon streusel topping!
Do you remember eating cinnamon toast crunch as a kid? I definitely do – I even buy it for my kids occasionally! There’s something special about serving a homemade cake, so when I found the opportunity to make a dessert with the same cinnamon toast flavor, I literally couldn’t resist!
This recipe comes from my amazing friend Mary’s new cookbook The Weeknight Dinner Cookbook. Mary blogs over at Barefeet In The Kitchen and creates easy family friendly recipes from scratch (and has tons of gluten free options)! Her book contains so many awesome delicious meals and sides, all containing simple from scratch ingredients you know and love!
Not only that, the recipes aren’t fussy and there is a WHOLE section on 15-25 minute meals! I love that I can have dinner on the table in under 30 minutes on a busy soccer night!
Just like the rest of the recipes in this book, you likely have all of the ingredients for this recipe on hand already! Don’t let the simplicity of this recipe deter you, this cake will definitely become a family favorite and tastes absolutely amazing!
It’s soft and buttery with a crunchy streusel topping that’s totally irresistible.
Be sure to grease the pan well and especially the corners. This ensures your cake comes out easily and none of that delicious topping is stuck to the sides!
Oh, one more thing about the corners of this cake (Mary gave me this little tip)… the corners of the cake are definitely the very best part. You’re going to want to snag those up and hide them to keep all to yourself (I won’t tell anyone if you don’t)! The corners seem to be where the most delicious crunchy cinnamon streusel lands!
Dessert is just something special to end a great family meal and I’ve never been one to pass up homemade cinnamon rolls so I knew this would be a welcome addition to our dessert rotation… and I was right! Don’t forget to top your slice with a scoop of ice cream – my husband actually loves this in a bowl with a little splash of heavy cream drizzled on top!
Oh, and grab your copy of The Weeknight Dinner Cookbook here!
You’ll be glad you did!
Cinnamon Toast Cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and semi-cooled
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 10-inch square pan.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Stir in the milk, vanilla, and butter. Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, combine the melted butter, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and whisk together.
- Remove the cake from the oven after 25 minutes and pour the topping across the cake starting around the edges.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes, until the cinnamon layer is bubbling.
- Cool before serving.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)