Thick, cheesy, and addictive, this delicious soup simmers all day in the crock-pot and is ready to eat when you are, with just a few finishing touches. This soup is terrific when served in homemade bread bowls, or with biscuits or rolls on the side. It’s even better the next day! This soup is low carb so it’s a great recipe to add into your regular rotation! It’s tough to find a good broccoli cheese soup that is made without Velveeta so don’t forget to bookmark or pin this recipe to save it!
When pureeing the soup, remember not to put hot soup in a blender with a lid! I used an immersion blender (hand blender) in the slow cooker. The addition of alfredo (I used light) makes this soup extra rich and creamy!
Items you’ll need for this recipe
* Crock Pot * Broccoli * Asiago Cheese *
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 heads of fresh broccoli
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or shredded multi-cheese blend
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 1 24 oz jar prepared Alfredo Sauce (such as Classico's Light Asiago Romano Alfredo)
- 1 tbsp basil pesto
- Approximately 6 to 8 cups of chicken stock or broth , or 1 1/2 to 2 boxes of store-bought chicken stock or broth
- Wash and chop the broccoli and place in the slow cooker. Be sure to remove the fibrous outer skin of the stem and chop the tender inner flesh. Add the onion, pesto and enough chicken stock to completely cover the vegetables.
- Cook on low and let it simmer for 6-8 hours.
- If desired, just before serving, puree the soup using a hand blender or leave it chunky. (Either way is delicious!)
- Add all of the cheeses and approximately half of the jar of Alfredo sauce. (Reserve the other half of the jar of Alfredo sauce for another meal.)
- Heat gently, stirring frequently, until all of the cheeses are melted.
- Garnish with additional shredded Asiago or Parmesan cheeses, or 1/2 tsp of pesto sauce.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)