Crock Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup is a bowl full of comfort! Thick, cheesy, and addictive, this delicious soup simmers all day in the crock-pot and is ready to eat when you are, with just a few finishing touches.
This rich velvety soup is loaded with broccoli and lots of cheese for the perfect slow cooker soup recipe! It’s creamy, dreamy, delicious!
While I do love a good quick Broccoli Cheese Soup, making Crock Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup can be a real lifesaver on those busy family days when everyone is coming and going! The crockpot is the real hero in this broccoli and cheese soup recipe because you just set it and forget it! In fact, why not put it together before work and come home to a healthy, filling dinner that everyone will love! Better yet, only one pot to wash!
How to Make Crock Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- BROCCOLI: Be sure to properly prep the broccoli by removing the fibrous outer skin and chop into uniform pieces. Place in the crock pot and onions and chicken stock. Make sure there is enough stock to completely cover the broccoli because this will be the base.
- COOK: Cover the crockpot and cook (on low or high) until the broccoli is tender. Add evaporated milk 30-60 minutes before serving.
- BLEND: You can leave it chunky or puree it with a hand blender until it is smooth. Personally, I like to take some of the broccoli out and chop it, puree the remainder using a hand blender and then add the chopped broccoli back in!
- CHEESE: Add the cheese just before serving. Dairy (including cheese) can break down and separate if cooked too long or too hot (the exception to this rule is Velveeta, it can be added a bit sooner to melt).
- ADD-INS: This soup is versatile. We sometimes add in some chunks of processed cheese (Velveeta), a half the jar of Alfredo sauce or a few spoonfuls of pesto. Top it with bacon, add in some garlic or serve it with croutons!
Add some diced potatoes for a heartier broccoli potato cheese soup. Or leave the recipe as is and enjoy it as a low carb broccoli cheese soup! Great for a potluck!
Rich and Creamy
When pureeing the soup, remember not to put hot soup in a blender with a lid! I used an immersion blender (hand blender) in the slow cooker. The addition of alfredo (I used light) makes this soup extra rich and creamy!
What to Serve with Broccoli Cheese Soup?
Broccoli and cheese soup is rich, so pair it with simple sides like a crisp salad or coleslaw, some fresh fruit, or some crusty bread and croutons. Let the soup be the star of the show!
You can freeze Broccoli Cheese Soup! Ladle portions into Ziploc bags, label, and lay flat so when they freeze, they will stack easily and save space!
This soup is low carb so it’s a great recipe to add into your regular rotation! It’s tough to find a good broccoli cheese soup without Velveeta so don’t forget to bookmark or pin this recipe to save it!
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1/2 cup celery sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 6 cups fresh broccoli about 2 heads
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 2/3 cup fresh Parmesan cheese shredded
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat butter in a small pan over medium heat. Cook onion and celery until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Wash and chop the broccoli and place in the slow cooker. Add cooked onion, garlic powder, bay leaf, chicken broth, cream cheese and salt & pepper to taste.
- Cook on low 6-7 hours (or high 3-4 hours) or until broccoli is tender. Add evaporated milk and cook 30-60 minutes more. Discard bay leaf.
- Remove one cup of broccoli and coarsely chop. Puree remaining soup using a hand blender. (You can puree a bit to break up the broccoli or until completely smooth depending on preference).
- Add chopped broccoli back into the soup. Stir in all of the cheeses until melted.
- Garnish with additional shredded cheeses, or 1/2 tsp of pesto sauce.