Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage is easy to make, tender and delicious! The Instant Pot makes this meal in a fraction of the time (and all in one pot)!
Not only is corned beef brisket a star on St. Patrick’s Day, but it makes for a hearty entrée all-year-round, especially on these chilly winter days!
How to Make Instant Pot Corned Beef
This simple favorite is ready in a few simple steps!
- Combine liquids, onion, and garlic in the instant pot (per recipe below).
- Add trivet and place the corned beef on top with the spice packet.
- Cook on high and release pressure. Rest the corned beef while the veggies cook.
- Discard all but one cup of liquid and add the cabbage, potatoes, and carrots. Cook on high for 5 minutes, then quick release the pressure.
Remove corned beef and place it on a cutting board. Slice across the grain and serve on top of the vegetables.
How Long to Cook Corned Beef I find 90 minutes is perfect for thawed corned beef about 2-3lbs (or even slightly larger).
TIP Resting the corned beef redistributes the juices keeping the meat tender.
It’s okay to use frozen corned beef brisket, but remember you ‘ll need to increase the cooking time. Since the cabbage, potatoes, and carrots are cooked while the corned beef rests, there is no risk of them overcooking!
The Best Beer To Use
Use the beer you like to drink! Some darker beers can produce a bit of a bitter flavor in the cooking liquid but truly flavor the beef and veggies beautifully. I’d suggest a dark beer like Guinness or Irish Stout for a truly savory flavor.
If you simply don’t have any on hand, then use broth and a spoonful of brown sugar.
Since corned beef is a full meal deal on its own, keep the sides fairly simple. But definitely make some bread to soak up those delicious juices!
- Bread: Irish soda bread or these easy dinner rolls!
- Salad: A simple tossed salad or crisp and crunchy cucumber tomato salad are the perfect pair!
Leftover Corned Beef Sandwiches
Next to meatloaf, nothing is better than a corned beef sandwich. Pile it high on two slices of rye bread, add a little sauerkraut and stone-ground mustard and you’ve got yourself a Reuben! Don’t forget the swiss cheese! Enjoy!
Must-Try Corned Beef Recipes
- Corned Beef Hash – delicious breakfast option!
- Corned Beef – classic stovetop recipe
- Reuben Casserole – favorite all year round!
- Reuben Sandwich – perfect for leftovers
- Corned Beef and Cabbage – simple slow cooker version!
- Corned Beef Sandwich – delightfully messy!
Instant Pot Corned Beef
- 2 cups water or broth
- 12 ounces beer or broth
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2-3 pound corned beef brisket with spice packet
- 1 pounds baby potatoes
- 3 cups cabbage chopped
- 3 carrots chopped
- Combine water, beer/broth, onion and garlic in a 6QT Instant Pot.
- Add the trivet and add the corned beef brisket with the spice mixture (if yours doesn't have a spice mixture, see note).
- Cook on high pressure for 90 minutes. Once done, release pressure and remove brisket, tent with foil to rest.
- Leave about 1 cup liquid in the Instant Pot. Add cabbage, potatoes and carrots. Set to high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Quick-release pressure. Remove vegetables to a serving place with a slotted spoon. Top with butter or sauce from the Instant Pot.
- Slice corned beef across the grain and serve with vegetables.