Hands up if you love creamy dreamy chicken?? If you’ve got your hand raised high like me, then you’re going to go NUTS over this Creamy Dill Pickle Chicken with Bacon! The little pops of tangy freshness from the dill pickle pairs perfectly with the luscious creamy sauce. Then of course- well, bacon. Bacon makes everything better, don’t you think? :-)
This is one of my back pocket quick midweek meals. I love it because though I really love creamy sauces, I avoid using heavy cream for everyday purposes because my bottom can’t afford it.
So what I really love about this recipe is that the sauce is oh-so-creamy and dreamy, but I make it with just a bit of cream cheese plus light sour cream, chicken broth for flavour and I use parmesan cheese as the thickener plus seasoning.
Not a drop of cream in sight.
And yet….SO MUCH CREAMY SAUCE!!!
I must admit, the version that I’ve been making for as long as I can remember didn’t originally have dill pickle in it. But then I saw Holly’s epic Dill Pickle Pasta Salad which literally blew up Facebook (you’ve tried it, haven’t you??) and I went on a dill bender.
I bought 2 giant jars – I’m talking those giant 2 pound jars – and I was putting it in everything. Sandwiches, salads, in my chicken piccata (instead of capers – yum!), on pizza.
If I TURN into a pickle, I blame Holly. That’s how much dill pickle I’ve been eating lately.
Plus, they are virtually zero calories, so I’ve actually been snacking on them straight out of the jar. I’m not even kidding.
So naturally, one night when I made this creamy chicken, I threw in some dill pickle. And it was SO GOOD I can’t imagine ever going back to a boring creamy chicken!! – Nagi x
Creamy Dill Pickle Chicken with Bacon
- 1 tbsp oil
- 5 oz bacon , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 1 lb chicken thigh fillets , boneless and skinless, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup light sour cream (or full fat)
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup dill pickle , chopped, plus more to serve
- Scallions , finely chopped, for garnish
- Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Add bacon and cook until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel lined plate.
- If your skillet is looking dry, add a tiny bit of oil.
- Reduce heat to medium high. Add onion and garlic, cook for 5 minutes or until golden and translucent.
- Add chicken and cook until light golden and just cooked through - about 6 minutes.
- Add chicken broth. Once it simmers, add the cream cheese. Use your spatula to break it up into bits so it melts into the liquid.
- Add parmesan cheese and sour cream and stir through. Cook sauce for 3 - 5 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir through dill pickle and bacon. Serve over mashed potato, sprinkled with scallions and slices of dill pickle if desired.
More Recipes You’ll Love