This Ranch Potato Salad is easy to make and jam-packed with flavor!
Cheddar, bacon, onion, and of course ranch come together in this salad to make it totally crave-worthy!
This dish is perfect to bring to barbeques or potlucks (and is great along any dinner made at home) since it’s made ahead of time.
Potato Salad Perfection
- This dish is made with simple flavor-packed ingredients I usually have on hand.
- It can be prepped in advance and kept in the refrigerator until guests arrive.
- On those hot summer days, this can be cooked in the morning to keep that kitchen cool!
- The dressing can be adjusted to suit anyone’s taste.
Ingredients for Potato Salad
POTATOES: We love thin skinned potatoes (red or Yukon gold) in this recipe because they do not require peeling and have a great texture. Chop them bite sized, about 1″.
DRESSING: Sour cream, greek yogurt, chives, and ranch seasoning are mixed together to create the creamy, flavorful dressing! You can add 1/2 cup mayonnaise in place of Greek yogurt in this recipe if desired.
FLAVOR BOOSTERS: Everything is better with bacon and cheese! Chives (or green onions) are a great addition too!
How to Make Ranch Potato Salad
- Cut potatoes and boil until tender. Drain & cool.
- Mix dressing ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add potatoes, bacon, & cheese. Mix well.
- Chill & serve.
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Green or red onions
- Ranch dressing can also be substituted for yogurt.
- Other add-ins include celery, Dijon mustard, shredded chicken.
Tips for The Best Potato Salad
- If time is limited, this recipe can be made in steps. The potatoes can be peeled, cooked, and stored in the refrigerator until the dressing is prepared. Or the potatoes can be cut and peeled, but if there is no time to cook them, then store them in a bowl covered in water in the fridge. The water will prevent them from turning brown.
- Don’t overcook the potatoes or the salad will be mushy (unless you’re making a mashed potato salad)!
- When cooking, poke them with a fork. It should pierce the potato easily. Ensure you start the potatoes in cold water for even cooking.
- Allow the potatoes to cool completely before adding the dressing (if they are too warm, then the dressing will be runny).
More Fave Summer Salads
- Classic Macaroni Salad – budget-friendly
- Classic Chicken Salad
- Southern Potato Salad – perfect potluck dish
- Classic Tuna Salad
- Italian Tortellini Salad – bright & colorful
- Ranch 7 Layer Salad – make ahead
- Deviled Egg Potato Salad – potato salad meets deviled eggs
Did you make this Ranch Potato Salad? Be sure to leave us a rating and a comment below!
Ranch Potato Salad
- 2 pounds red potatoes approx. 7 medium or 5 large potatoes
- 1 cup bacon cooked, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- 1 packet ranch seasoning
- 3 tablespoons chives minced
- Scrub potatoes and cut into pieces. Place in a large pot and fill with cold water 1" above the potatoes.
- Simmer potatoes for 16-18 minutes or until tender. Drain well and cool completely.
- Once potatoes are cooled, combine dressing ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the potatoes, bacon, and cheese. Toss to combine and chill at least 2 hours before serving.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)