Steak butter is the secret ingredient steakhouses use to make their steaks extra tasty.
This small coin of compound butter melts onto the steak as it is being carried from the grill to the table.
What is Steak Butter?
Steak butter is a delicious butter mixture that can be made at home using fresh herbs and seasonings!
It is mixed together and then rolled into a roll and refrigerated. The roll is then sliced into round pats of butter.
- Steak butter is of course delicious on steaks, but it’s also great on meat, fish, corn on the cob, and even as a spread on crostini!
- It is versatile, super-fast to prepare, and easy to cook with.
- This butter can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated or frozen to use later.
- Freeze individual coins and add to mashed potatoes or veggies for an easy boost of flavor!
What’s in Steak Butter?
BUTTER A little bit of softened butter melted over a steak makes the flavor really pop. I prefer salted butter but you can use unsalted butter and add your own salt.
SEASONINGS Some savory herbs and spices are all it takes! Fresh garlic is a great addition but use garlic powder or roasted garlic for a more subtle flavor.
We add in a pinch of smoked paprika, some thyme (or parsley) and a tiny bit of lemon zest.
- For fish or seafood dishes, use dill and extra lemon zest.
- For pork chops or pork loin, use garlic and rosemary.
- Add a dash or two of sriracha into compound butter with some basil for a spicy brush over meatballs for an appetizer!
How to Make Steak Butter
It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3 to make this tasty condiment for steak:
- Mix all ingredients together until smooth. Use a hand mixer for best results!
- Scrape butter from the bowl & place it in the center of a large piece of plastic wrap.
- Fold the plastic wrap over & make a log shape. Twist the ends & refrigerate until ready to use.
- Compound butter can be made ahead and the flavors will intensify. Freeze in a zippered bag with the date labeled on the outside for up to 3 months.
- If making more than one batch, use a food processor.
- Trying to use up fresh herbs instead? Use this handy guide to learn how to substitute fresh vs dried herbs.
- Garlic Herb Compound Butter for Steak
- BEST Homemade Garlic Butter
- Whipped Strawberry Butter
- Honey Butter
- How to Make Brown Butter
Did you try this Steak Butter? Tell us how much you loved it in a comment below!
Our Favorite Steak Butter
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced or ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ⅛ smoked paprika
- kosher salt & pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Spread onto a piece of plastic wrap and roll into a small log, tying the ends of the wrap.
- Keep in the refrigerator until it is hard.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!