This easy Salisbury Steak recipe is comforting, delicious, and perfect for a weeknight dinner.
Made with tender beef patties and simmered in a rich and delicious mushroom gravy, it’s a meal that the whole family loves.
Serve it over mashed potatoes or egg noodles for an extra dose of comfort. And the best part? It’s ready in about 30 minutes!
An Easy Weeknight Meal
Homemade Salisbury steak patties are simmered until tender in a creamy mushroom gravy.
- This is a favorite comfort food with a rich mushroom gravy.
- This budget-friendly dinner uses ingredients you likely have on hand.
- It’s easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time, this dish freezes and reheats well.
- Mushroom Salisbury steak is ready in about 30 minutes in just one pan
Ingredients in Salisbury Steak
Ground beef – Use lean ground beef (80/20 lean-to-fat ratio) for the best flavor and texture. You can also use ground turkey for a healthier option. If you’re short on time, pre-made frozen patties or meatballs work too!
Breadcrumbs & Egg – These bind the patties together, and the egg adds moisture.
Mushrooms – Mushrooms add a rich flavor to the gravy. They can be replaced with extra onions if you’d prefer.
Gravy – The gravy is made with a roux (flour and butter) and low sodium beef broth, flavored with garlic, onion powder, and thyme.
Seasoning – Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, salt, and pepper are all you need, but feel free to add any other seasonings or herbs you like. If you don’t have dry mustard powder, substitute 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard.
How to Make Salisbury Steak
This homemade Salisbury steak recipe is a classic comfort food for good reason!
- Cook the onions and mushrooms in a large skillet (per the recipe below).
- Form beef mixture into patties. Brown patties in the pan.
- Add the gravy ingredients and simmer the patties in the mushroom gravy until cooked through.
Store leftover mushroom Salisbury steak in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or over medium heat on the stovetop.
Freeze portions in zippered bags for up to 4 weeks and thaw overnight before reheating.
Did your family love this Mushroom Salisbury Steak recipe? Leave us a rating and a comment below!
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 ¼ cups mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
- 10 ½ ounces condensed beef broth divided
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ⅓ cup water
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the sliced onion, and cook stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking until the liquid has been released and is almost evaporated. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the beef, ¼ cup beef broth, bread crumbs, egg, garlic powder, and black pepper. Shape into 6 patties, ½-inch thick.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk the remaining beef broth, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, flour, mustard powder, and water.
- Place the beef patties in the same skillet over medium heat and brown 2 minutes per side. Add the mushroom mixture and the broth. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the beef is cooked through.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or egg noodles.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!