Chocolate Icebox Cake has been a favorite dessert since I was a little kid!
Layer upon layer of wafer cookies and whipped cream refrigerated until its magically transformed into a cake; no baking required!
We love these mini cupcake style icebox cakes for any occasion. They can be topped with sprinkles or chocolate to match any occasion!
Mini Icebox Cakes are so deliciously dreamy and super easy to make using only 4 ingredients! They are the perfect no bake treat for Valentine’s Day, a special occasion or just about any day!
Nobody would ever believe how easy they are to make and the best part of all, no baking required!
What is an Icebox Cake?
An icebox cake (aka refrigerator cake) is a classic dessert that has been around for years, especially this version! I can remember my mom making this cake for special occasions and it was always such a great treat!
Refrigerators were not common until the 1920’s or 30’s. Prior to that time, an ‘icebox’ or ‘cold closet’ was used. It was an insulated chest that held a block of ice in the top compartment and from that, cool air would circulate to the food in the lower compartment. As the ice melted, the water would be drained and once depleted, new ice would be added.
Traditionally, icebox cakes are made from cookies layered between whipped cream and then refrigerated for a 4 hours (or overnight). The whipped cream transforms the cookies from hard and crunchy, to soft and cake like – almost magically!
When using chocolate cookies and whipped cream you end up with a pretty black and white striped dessert so this icebox cake is also sometimes called a zebra cake! In all of the years we’ve had this cake, my mom would form it into a log and slice it but I’ve decided to make individual mini chocolate icebox cakes! Perfect individual cake servings are so fun to serve and are in fact easier to make because they are a smaller, easier to manage portions.
Creamy, light and delicious Mini Chocolate Icebox Cakes are a fun and fantastic dessert idea that your family will love!
I know your family is not only going to love eating these chocolate icebox cakes, but you’re also going to love making them! Why?
- This recipe only has 4 ingredients.
- The instructions are super simple, perfect for kids of all ages!
- Kids (and adults as well) are always amazed by the magical transformation from crunchy cookie to moist cake-like consistency that takes place every time!
What type of wafer can be used in an Icebox Cake?
These Mini Chocolate Icebox Cakes are made with chocolate wafers (I always use Famous Wafers), but any chocolate wafer will do. You can also use graham wafers or even packaged chocolate chip cookies (the crunchy ones) to create this easy dessert!
Mini Chocolate Icebox Cakes are so simple to make with only 4 ingredients and no baking required. This is definitely be a favorite in your family too!
Mini Chocolate Icebox Cake
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 package chocolate wafers I use Famous wafers
- Chocolate for decorating
- Combine heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla in a large bowl. Whip on medium speed until fluffy and thick.
- Layer 6 wafer cookies with about 1 tablespoon of whipped cream between each layer. (Begin & end with a wafer cookie, you will have 6 cookies and 5 layers of whipped cream).
- Repeat with remaining cookies. If desired (or if you have enough whipped cream), frost the outer edges of the cookies with whipped cream.
- Place mini cakes in the refrigerator at least 4 hours or overnight.
- If desired, use a vegetable peeler to “peel” chocolate shavings to decorate. (Colored or chocolate sprinkles work as well).
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!