Who’s in the mood for comfort food? This recipe for one-pot rotini pasta is filled with chicken in a quick creamy tomato sauce!
It is rich, hearty, and all cooked in just one pot, perfect for when time is short for cooking and clean up!
Busy days and nights call for quick and easy meals and this one fits the bill.
- Versatile – any leftover meat (chicken is a favorite), any medium pasta
- Uses ingredients I usually have on hand
- Takes about 30 minutes start to finish.
- Only ONE pot is needed, just like this easy ravioli!
PASTA Of course we use rotini in this recipe but any medium pasta such as shells or penne will work too. Tri-color rotini makes for a colorful meal.
MEAT We used cooked chicken, but ground chicken, turkey, or sausage will also work well. This is a great recipe for leftover chicken too!
SAUCE The sauce in this dish is full of flavor with both tomatoes and cream, and lots of herbs and spices!
How to Make Rotini Pasta
This easy rotini pasta will be the recipe that’s asked for again and again—it’s that good!
- In an oven-proof skillet, cook garlic in oil until fragrant.
- Stir in pasta, tomatoes (with juices), water, & tomato paste. Simmer until pasta is extra al dente.
- Remove from heat & stir in cooked chicken, seasonings, & cream. Simmer until heated through and thickened.
- Broil until cheese is melted on the top.
Tips for Perfect Pasta
- For perfect pasta, avoid overcooking. Stir it in the pot thoroughly so all the pieces are well coated.
- Pasta will continue to cook as it rests.
- Place the skillet under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes to get the cheese really gooey and browned on top. Sprinkle with freshly chopped basil.
More Sauces for Rotini
- Ground Turkey Pasta Sauce
- Homemade Bolognese Sauce (Pappardelle)
- Crock Pot Spaghetti Sauce
- Easy Marinara Sauce
- Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Did you enjoy this One-Pot Rotini Pasta? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
One Pot Rotini Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 ounces rotini pasta or medium pasta
- 14 ounces canned diced tomatoes with juice
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes optional
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 ½ - 3 cups water or broth, more if needed
- 2 cups chicken chopped & cooked (leftover or rotisserie chicken work well)
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1 ounce fresh parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 ⅓ cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- Heat oil in a large oven-proof skillet. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Stir in uncooked pasta, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, seasoning, chili flakes if using, and 2 ½ cups water. Let simmer uncovered until pasta is cooked adding more water if needed, about 11-13 minutes. (You want enough liquid to create a sauce).
- Stir in chicken and heavy cream. Let simmer an additional 2-3 minutes or until slightly thickened and chicken is heated through.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley & parmesan cheese. Top with mozzarella cheese and broil until bubbly and lightly browned.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.