This Broccoli Cheese Casserole is a family favorite! Pasta, broccoli and tender ham is tossed in a quick and easy from scratch cheese sauce. This casserole is then topped with breadcrumbs and baked until bubbly and golden. The kids love this dish just as much as I do.
As we all know, life can be very busy! With the kids activities, managing a house and working, there is never a wrong time for a great casserole! This one comes together in just a few steps and can be prepped in the morning before you head out the door. When you get home after a long day, all that’s left to do is pop dinner into the oven! Plus it’s full of cheesy goodness with some veggies snuck in there! Yum right?!
Broccoli and cheese is as natural a pairing as PB & J… they just should ALWAYS go together. I’ve paired them in a broccoli cheese soup or with rice and about a million other ways too. And of course I am a huge fan of macaroni and cheese in any way, shape or form.
In this easy broccoli cheese casserole recipe I’ve added ham and fresh broccoli to turn a traditional mac & cheese into a complete meal! This recipe calls for a quick from scratch sauce which is so worth the effort, it takes only about 5 minutes!
I top this recipe with breadcrumbs but you can use anything from Ritz crackers to just plain cheese as a topping. Of course leftover ham works perfectly in this dish but if you don’t have ham on hand, cooked chicken works well in this recipe too. It’s fairly versatile, as long as you’re using 2 cups of cooked meat (ham/chicken etc) and 3 cups of veggies, it’s going to be great!
It is comforting, filling and completely delicious! The easy clean up of this one dish meal makes it a recipe that is near and dear to my heart! Being able to create a meal this yummy and clean it up in a matter of moments makes it nothing short of an ideal recipe!
Broccoli Cheese Casserole with Ham
- 12 ounces dry macaroni
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 cup light cream
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups sharp cheddar
- 1 cup gruyere cheese
- ½ cup fresh parmesan cheese
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoons melted butter
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Add broccoli in the last 2 minutes to cook it tender crisp. Drain and run under cold water.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Whisk in flour and let cook 2 minutes while stirring. Slowly whisk in cream, milk,and seasonings. Cook over medium heat while stirring until thickened. Remove from heat and stir cheeses until melted.
- Toss cheese sauce, pasta, broccoli, and ham together. Pour into a greased 9×13 pan. Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over macaroni.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or just until hot. Do not over cook.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.