Zesty Beef Tostadas are a fun twist on tacos! Crispy, crunchy tortilla shells are topped with ground beef and refried beans.
Add your favorite tasty toppings for an easy addition to your meal rotation.
What is a Tostada?
A tostada is basically an open-faced taco, sharing many of the same ingredients as a typical ground beef taco.
The tortilla is prepared flat and can be either baked or pan-fried. Once crisp it’s covered in layers of beans, meat, and toppings.
Tostadas are little discs of taco goodness! The toppings can be piled as high and deep as you like!
We love this recipe because it’s a regular DIY entrée and there’s room for tons of creativity!
Make a festive DIY Tostada bar and let your kids (or your guests) choose their own toppings!
Ingredients and Variations
TORTILLAS Corn tortillas make the base for tostadas. I most often purchase tostada shells at the grocery (they’re sold near the taco shells) but I’ve included details to bake your own below.
This is the fun part. Try any of the following or get creative and come up with new favorites:
How to Make Ground Beef Tostadas
- Cook tortilla shells in the oven until crisp (or heat them if using store-bought)
- Prepare meat with taco seasoning (per recipe below).
- Heat the refried beans, and prepare the other toppings.
- Assemble tostadas with a spoonful of refried beans and then the cooked ground beef.
Garnish with toppings and enjoy!
- The best way to store leftover tostada shells is to keep them in a zippered bag at room temperature. Store them with a sheet of paper towel between the tostadas to absorb any moisture.
- To reheat tostada shells, lay them on a sheet pan and place them under the broiler for about 3 minutes, or just pop them in a toaster oven. Even a regular toaster will work if the tostadas are small enough to fit!
- Other toppings can be kept in airtight containers and kept in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Creamy Chicken Enchiladas – easy & cheesy
- Easy Fish Tacos – with homemade fish taco sauce
- Carne Asada Recipe – with a citrus garlic marinade
- Chicken Burrito Bowl – loaded with fresh ingredients
- Taco Stuffed Pepper Casserole – perfect weeknight dinner
- Copycat Crunchwrap Supreme – better than take-out
Did you make these Beef Tostadas? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Ground Beef Tostadas
- 8 tostada shells *or corn tortillas, see notes
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ⅓ cup water
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 ½ cups refried beans
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce finely shredded
- 1 cup tomatoes fresh, diced
- 2 cups Mexican cheese blend shredded
- olives, jalapenos, cilantro, diced red onions
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brown ground beef in a large pan. Drain fat. Add water and taco seasoning. Simmer 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, heat refried beans (in microwave or stovetop) and prepare Topping ingredients.
- Place tostada shells in the oven and bake 5 minutes or until warmed and fragrant.
- Remove from the oven and gently spoon heated refried beans onto tostada shells. Top with a spoonful of ground beef, and toppings as desired. Serve immediately.