This Easy Apple Cake recipe is incredibly moist and delicious with a surprise cream cheese center. Sweet tender apples, cinnamon, and carrots meld together with a delightful cream cheese layer to create a luscious cake worthy of your next special occasion or an amazing dessert.
Best Apple Cake Recipe
This Apple Cake recipe is, without a doubt, the best apple cake I’ve ever had!
Cake is a classic easy dessert, whether it’s a traditional chocolate or vanilla cake or even something with a bit of spice and fruit like this easy Apple Cake recipe.
Cakes that include the addition of fruit and/or veggies (like Zucchini Brownies or Carrot Cake) tend to be super moist and delicious, and this Apple Cake recipe definitely follows suit! Combining both apples and carrots not only creates an amazing flavor, the cake comes out so incredibly tender and moist. You could certainly substitute shredded zucchini in place of the carrots if you happen to have it on hand!
Fresh Apples are Best for Apple Cake
This apple cake recipe is made with fresh apples for the perfect flavor! You can use any variety, however, I do find that Granny Smith apples are my favorite as they tend to hold up best. I use cinnamon to spice this apple cake recipe up a little bit (and because cinnamon apple is always the perfect combination) but you can use your favorite warm spices or even a pre-made apple pie spice.
This easy apple cake tends to stick to the pan regardless of how well your pan is greased (cooking spray doesn’t work well with this cake). The best solution is to use a cake release, it will slide out of the pan perfectly (directions below).
Pro Baking Tip for this Apple Cake and Beyond
While we always grease our pans I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had a cake stick to the pan! While I used to buy commercial cake release (which is a product you brush onto your pans so your cakes won’t stick) I found it would sit unused in the cupboard forever, not to mention it was expensive!
With just a few simple (and inexpensive) ingredients, you can make your own cake release so this easy apple cake comes out perfectly! Not only is it easy to make but it pretty much guarantees your cake will slide out of your pan and perfectly onto your cake plate.
How to Make Homemade Cake Release
- Simply combine equal amounts of oil, shortening and flour and mix until very smooth (use a hand mixer if needed).
- Brush onto your pan using a pastry brush before pouring the cake batter into the pan.
- Store tightly sealed in a cool dark place up to 6 weeks.
I make this apple cake recipe in a 10″ bundt pan however an angel food cake pan will work as well. If your pan is a bit smaller or larger, you may need to adjust the baking time slightly baking just until a toothpick comes out clean.
How to Store and Serve this Easy Apple
Because of the cream cheese, we do store this apple cake in the refrigerator for a few days. I like to take it out of the fridge for about 45 minutes before serving to let it come to room temperature.
This cinnamon apple cake will freeze perfectly for up to 2 months. I like to slice it before freezing so we can just remove the number of slices we need.
More Apple Recipes You’ll Love
- Apple Pie Recipe – Classic!
- Homemade Apple Butter
- Creamy Apple Slaw Recipe – Perfect for pulled pork!
- The Best Apple Crumb Pie Ever – Reader favorite!
- Apple Pie Cupcakes
Easy Apple Cake
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups apples chopped and peeled
- 2 cups carrot shredded
- ½ cup walnuts chopped
Cream Cheese Layer
- 1 package cream cheese 8 oz, softened
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup brown sugar packed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush a 10″ tube pan with cake release (below) or grease and flour well.
- Beat cream cheese and sugar with a hand mixer until fluffy. Add egg and combine until smooth. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda.
- Whisk together sugar, oil and eggs. Add the flour mixture a little at a time, stirring to combine.
- Mix in apples, carrots and walnuts.
- Pour half of the batter into the greased pan. Gently spoon the cream cheese mixture over the batter keeping it in the center. Top with remaining carrot apple batter.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes in the pan, gently loosen the edges and invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Bring brown sugar, butter and cream to a boil over medium high heat. Allow to boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Drizzle over cake while warm.