This Roasted Chicken Breast recipe is going to make you look like a star in the kitchen! Split Chicken Breasts are juicy and tender on the inside, with a delicious crispy, herb-crusted skin on the outside, roasted chicken never tasted so good.
I love oven baked chicken breasts because they’re quick and easy but baking with the bone in and skin on adds extra flavor and keeps the chicken incredibly juicy!
What Is a Split Chicken Breast?
It may sound like a fancy cut of meat, but a split chicken breast is a chicken breast with a bone and skin.
Why it’s called a “split” chicken breast? That’s because a whole chicken breast, (a large, heart-shaped cut of meat) technically includes both sides of the chicken and in this case, it’s split in two.
How To Prepare Split Chicken Breasts
These are the easiest and one of the most rewarding baked chicken meals to serve. And if there are leftovers, you’ll be lucky, because it’s great to add to chicken casseroles or to make chicken salad sandwiches the next day!
- Preheat oven and brush split breast with the olive oil. I use a basting brush.
- Sprinkle seasonings liberally (use recipe below or use your own seasoning mix).
- Bake until golden brown crispy and delicious!
How Long To Cook Split Chicken Breasts
It takes a little longer to cook chicken with the bone in. Dinner will be on the table in 40 to 50 minutes, depending on the size and thickness of the chicken breasts.
The best way to be sure it’s done is to insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the meat and be sure it reads at least 165°F. Or, use a thin small knife to cut into one breast, to make sure there is no pink left inside.
What To Serve With Split Chicken Breasts
It’s so easy to turn this into a one-pot meal. Just place the potatoes and other vegetables you’ve prepared right in with the roasted chicken and cook them together. Be sure to adjust the cooking time up, depending on how many vegetables are cooking alongside the meat.
- Some other perfect pairings that will make this a meal fit for royalty, are roasted broccoli and egg noodles.
- Or go for everyone’s favorite garlic mashed potatoes or mashed sweet potatoes.
- What’s dinner without a tossed salad?
No matter what you choose to serve with this split chicken breast recipe, you won’t be disappointed because this is one meal that is scrumptious every single time you make it. It’s just one of those things that literally “always turns out.”
Chicken for Dinner
- Oven Baked Chicken Breasts – classic chicken recipe!
- Sesame Chicken – better than takeout!
- Baked Chicken Thighs – delicious & simple main dish
- Sticky Chicken Drumsticks – simple 4 ingredients sauce
- Crispy Baked Chicken Legs – tender juicy meat with crispy skin!
- Roasted Cornish Hen – with seasoned veggies
Split Chicken Breast Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 split chicken breasts (bone-in, skin on)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Brush chicken with olive oil and season well with seasonings.
- Place chicken in a shallow roasting pan and cook 40-50 minutes or until chicken reaches 165°F.
- Garnish with parsley if desired.
Line the dish with diced vegetables or potatoes for a complete meal in one dish.