Creamed Swiss Chard is an easy and beautiful side dish that’s quick to make!
Colorful greens are sauteed in a simple creamy garlic sauce until tender!
What is Creamed Swiss Chard?
A simple twist on our favorite creamed spinach dish! Swiss chard is a beautiful veggie with crisp colorful stalks and flavorful leaves.
In this recipe, they are cooked with garlic until tender and a bit of cream is added for a buttery flavor.
VEGGIES Swiss chard is the main ingredient, of course, but this dish would be great with any greens! Sliced and sauteed mushrooms a great addition.
CREAM Use heavy cream for the flavor and texture. If you’re looking to lighten it up a bit, replace the cream with cream cheese and a bit of milk if needed.
GARLIC AND SEASONINGS Fresh garlic is recommended in this recipe but garlic powder can be added.
- Add a touch of white wine and let is it simmer until almost evaporated (before adding the cream)!
- For a fresh flavor, grate in some lemon zest or add a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Fry up a slice or two of bacon and use the grease in place of oil. Serve with the crisp bacon crumbled on top.
How to Make Creamed Swiss Chard
Super easy to make, healthy creamed swiss chard can be on the table in minutes!
- Prepare chard and heat oil.
- Briefly saute garlic, add and saute chard stems.
- Add cream and remaining ingredients (per the recipe below), simmer, and add chard leaves.
Serve and enjoy!
- Creamed Swiss chard can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. It won’t freeze very well, so make sure to use it up before that.
- It makes a great snack served warm over toasted homemade bread or topped with a bit of cheese.
- Add to any creamy soup recipe.
More Great Greens
- Collard Greens – favorite recipe
- Creamed Spinach – quick
- Sauteed Beet Greens Recipe – so flavorful
- Garlic Bacon Kale Recipe – how to cook kale
- Garlic Butter Swiss Chard – 10 minute cook time
- Sauteed Brussel Sprouts – only 5 ingredients
- Creamed Peas – cozy side dish
Did you make this Creamed Swiss Chard? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Creamed Swiss Chard
- 1 bunch swiss chard
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon seasoned salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Wash chard and dab dry. Separate stems from the leaves.
- Cut stems into ½" slices. Chop leaves into large 1" pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add stems and cook 3-4 minutes or until tender-crisp.
- Stir in heavy cream, seasoned salt & pepper and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Add leaves and cook until wilted, 2-3 minutes more. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!