Creamed peas are a cozy side dish for any Sunday supper or holiday meal!
In this recipe, tender peas are served in an easy cream sauce. It’s all mixed together with a pat of butter for the perfect side.
This easy favorite is a classic for good reason, it’s delicious and dare I say, easy-peasy!
An Easy Side Dish
I love how this easy creamed peas recipe adds a cozy touch to any meal.
Creamed peas starts with a simple seasoned cream sauce and tender green peas are added in. This side dish recipe doesn’t need a lot of fancy ingredients and it tastes like good ol’ comfort food.
How to Make Creamed Peas
- Cook Peas – Simmer (or steam) the peas for 2-3 minutes.
- Make Cream Sauce – Make an easy cream sauce per the recipe below.
- Season & Enjoy – Combine the peas and cream sauce with a bit of butter. Season and enjoy.
Creamed peas are the perfect side dish to serve with ham, or even your Thanksgiving turkey and are also great next to meatloaf or porkchops. Creamed peas are delicious over salmon patties as well.
Green Peas: I most often use frozen peas since I always have them on hand! If fresh peas are available they’ll be great but they tend to be hard to find. If using fresh peas, they take a bit longer to cook. You’ll want to ensure they’re tender before serving.
Cream Sauce: This sauce starts with flour and butter (for thickening and flavor). I use light cream (like half and half or 10-12%MF cream). You can use whole milk with some heavy cream as well.
Seasonings: Creamed peas is one of those simple dishes that doesn’t need a lot to taste great. We add a pinch of dill (optional) and season the peas generously with Kosher salt & pepper to taste. You can add extra seasonings like onion powder or even fresh herbs like parsley if you’d like.
- mix the peas with cooked potatoes
- stir in chopped ham (or bacon)
- cooked pearl onions (boil them a few minutes before adding to the peas)
- cooked carrot slices
Top creamed peas with shredded cheese if you please!
- Creamed peas will keep for 4-5 days in the refrigerator in a sealed container. Reheat in the microwave and serve.
- To freeze ladle chilled creamed peas into zippered bags and write the date on the outside and freeze for up to 6 months.
More Favorite Side Dishes
Did your family love these Creamed Peas? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 3 cups frozen peas thawed
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon dried dill optional
- ¾ cup light cream or as needed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil and add peas. Simmer 3 minutes. Drain well.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and seasonings and cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in cream and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add peas and cook until heated through.
- Mix with butter and serve warm.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.