Creamed peas are a cozy side dish for any Sunday supper or holiday meal! Tender peas are simmered in a buttery cream sauce.
This easy favorite is a classic for good reason, it’s delicious and dare I say, easy-peasy!
What are Creamed Peas?
We love making creamed peas because they add a fancy touch to any meal.
In this recipe, tender peas are simmered in an easy creamy sauce with seasonings. They are quick to make and reheat well.
PEAS If fresh peas are available they’ll be great but they tend to be hard to find, so try this dish with frozen peas (which is what I usually use)!
If using fresh peas, they take a bit longer to cook. You’ll want to ensure they’re tender before serving.
CREAM SAUCE Flour, cream, seasonings, and some butter make this recipe a keeper for sure.
We have some ideas to up-level them! Add any of the following.
- ham (or bacon)
- pearl onions
- cooked carrot slices
Top creamed peas with shredded cheese if you please!
- Creamed peas will keep about 4 days in the refrigerator in a sealed container. Reheat in the microwave and serve.
- To freeze ladle chilled creamed peas into zippered bags and write the date on the outside and freeze up to 6 months.
More Creamy Side Dishes
- Creamy Asparagus – stovetop version
- Homemade Creamed Corn
- Classic Green Bean Casserole – topped with crispy onions
- Creamed Swiss Chard – ready in 15 minutes
- Cheesy Broccoli Casserole – from scratch
Did your family love these Creamed Peas? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 3 cups frozen peas thawed
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon dried dill optional
- ¾ cup light cream or as needed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil and add peas. Simmer 3 minutes. Drain well.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and seasonings and cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in cream and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add peas and cook until heated through.
- Mix with butter and serve warm.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)