Cheesy Potato Casserole is a hearty, savory side dish; perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner!
This casserole is made extra quick with shredded hashbrowns so you can skip the peeling and chopping! Bake it all together until golden and bubbly!
Why I Love This Recipe
We love this recipe because it takes mere minutes to prepare and pop in the oven!
It uses simple ingredients and can be served for any meal of the day from breakfast to dinner.
It’s extra super cheesy and I never have leftovers if we bring it to a potluck!
This casserole is super versatile and you can switch it up by adding any kind of cooked meat and veggies including leftovers of almost anything in your fridge!
Ingredients & Variations
This recipe uses simple ingredients and is so easy to make!
POTATOES This recipe uses shredded potatoes but any kind of frozen hashbrowns will work great.
CHEESE Sharp Cheddar is best in this dish, it really gives the casserole that strong cheesy flavor. Try Monterey Jack, mozzarella or Havarti to switch it up a bit!
Sour cream adds a bit of tang and creaminess, try plain Greek yogurt in place if it’s what you have on hand.
This casserole is so versatile. Use any leftovers or extra ingredients you have on hand!
How to Make Potato Casserole
This casserole is easy to prep and easy to bake. Just pop in the oven and bake until bubbly & golden brown!
- Mix main ingredients (per recipe below) in a casserole dish.
- Combine cornflake crumbs with butter and sprinkle over casserole
- Bake until the top is bubbly and golden brown!
Top with jalapenos, green chiles, salsa, ketchup or sour cream!
MAKE AHEAD: Prepare as directed leaving the topping in a separate container. Refrigerate up to 48 hours before baking. Sprinkle the topping on and bake as directed.
Easy Cheesy Casseroles
- Homemade Mac and Cheese Casserole – 5-star rating!
- Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole – make ahead
- Cheesy Broccoli Casserole – add chicken or ham to make it a full meal
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole – cheesy & creamy
- Overnight Sausage Breakfast Casserole – great make-ahead meal
- Funeral Potatoes – a crowd favorite
- Sausage Cheddar Breakfast Strata – loaded with sausage, cheese, and peppers
Did you love this Cheesy Potato Casserole? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Cheesy Potato Casserole
- 32 ounces shredded potatoes defrosted if frozen
- 10 ½ ounces condensed cheddar cheese soup or cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup cornflakes
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all ingredients (except toppings) in a casserole dish and mix well.
- Gently break up cornflake crumbs and toss with melted butter.
- Sprinkle topping over casserole and bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes or bubbly and topping is golden.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!