Of all the summer salads, a classic chicken salad recipe is always a favorite at a picnic, a barbecue, or an office potluck! Just a few ingredients can be transformed into a cold, creamy salad or filling for a homemade chicken salad sandwich or wrap!
Keep this easy recipe on hand for last-minute sandwich prep when last-minute invitations come up! Serve this summer with a side of Italian pasta salad and crunchy grilled corn on the cob!
Ingredients in Chicken Salad
- Use leftovers from last night’s dinner or leftover rotisserie chicken or grilled chicken.
- To Make Chicken for chicken salad I like to use either poached chicken or baked chicken breasts or thighs.
- You can use canned chicken in a pinch but of course fresh is best when possible.
- Ensure the chicken is cooled and shred or chop the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- As this is a classic chicken salad recipe, I’ve kept the additions to a minimum. Celery for crunch, green onions for flavor.
- This recipe can be made with a variety of nuts, veggies, and fruit for added flavor and texture.
- Chicken salad with grapes, avocado or dried cranberries is a favorite. Pecans or almonds pair well with this recipe.
- Mayonnaise is the base of this recipe and it’s simply seasoned.
- You can get creative and substitute some of the mayo for ranch dressing or your favorite salad dressing recipe.
- Create an Avocado Chicken Salad by replacing some of the mayonnaise with mashed avocado.
How to Make Chicken Salad?
Prepare a classic chicken salad in 15 minutes with only a few simple ingredients.
- Chop cooked and cooled chicken and place into a large bowl with celery and onions.
- Mix dressing ingredients (per recipe below) in a bowl. Toss with chicken.
- Serve on rolls, bread or over a bead of lettuce.
For this chicken salad sandwich recipe, any bread will do, thick slices of a baguette or buns/rolls hold up well. This is naturally low carb and it’s great over a tossed salad as well.
REFRIGERATOR: In an airtight container, the chicken salad will last about a week in the refrigerator. Give it a stir and refresh the flavor with a little salt and pepper (or an extra dollop of Dijon mustard) and serve!
FREEZER: Chicken salad doesn’t freeze well. To prep ahead, simply dice the chicken and freeze. When ready to make, combine it with the ingredients below for a quick lunch!
- Pineapple Chicken Salad with Grapes – fresh summer favorite
- Best Egg Salad Recipe – All-American classic!
- Avocado Ranch Chicken Salad Wrap – loaded with flavor
- Bacon Ranch Chicken Salad – deliciously fresh & tasty!
- Classic Tuna Salad – ready in 10 minutes!
- Shrimp Salad – fabulous light entreé
Classic Chicken Salad
- 2 cups cooked chicken chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 green onion diced (or chives or red onion)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill optional
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve as a sandwich or over salad.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
So good! I did everything exactly as directed and it was awesome! Then I added in some of those salad topper honey roasted pecans… YUM!!!! Then I added a few grapes… Amazing!!! I only di it because I had them on hand and they needed to move along. this is so versatile, but the main instructions prior to my additions (for my tastebuds) were perfect! Everyone absolutely loved it! Thank you!
I always buy the pulled rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and use it in this recipe. Everyone who tries it, LOVES it! We make big batches every week for lunches and hardly ever get tired of it. Definitely five-star worthy.
I am so happy to hear this recipe is always a hit Jacqueline!
Too salty. Season salt had too much garlic and salt. Should have ommited it. Made it exactly as directed, but will change seasoning amounts for our taste next time. Thanks for the recipe.
Made this for dinner tonight and it was soo good! I made it exactly the way you wrote it-and wow perfection! Thank you so much for the recipe!
You’re welcome Ashley!
Is there a difference with using prepared yellow mustard instead of dry mustard.
If using prepared mustard you can use 1 teaspoon, if using dry mustard I would suggest about ¼ teaspoon to start, you can add more to taste as you’d like.
Very good! We put it on toasted bread with a slice of American cheese and fresh tomatoes! Yummy!
love this one
This was so good, it tasted restaurant quality!
I changed some things to what I had on hand, but no doubt this was made possible with Your recipe as I had never made it before.
I made this 3 hours ahead of time and chilled in the refrigerator.
I substituted canned white meat chicken, yellow mustard, onion powder, Dill powder, and I also chopped in pickles.
I toasted sandwich bread slices. I laid down lettuce, then scooped this on top, put a few whole pickles (we’re pickle obsessed in this household), then put the other toasted bread slice.
My brother and mom thought it tasted Amazing!
I much prefer MIRACLE WHIP to Mayonaisse and French Fries are the perfect side.
Very, very good! The first time I used green onions, and the second time red onions. I love bothering but my favorite is the green onions. I made both on the fourth of July and at a luncheon! Major hit with EVERYONE who tasted!. I don’t need the bread, I like it from the bowl onto a serving plate. Thank you!!
I was hungry for chicken salad but only had canned chicken. It works! This will be my go-to chicken salad recipe from now on. So easy and very good!
Thanks, Jan! So happy you enjoyed it.
My family loves this recipe!
This has become my go to summer salad! It Is light, refreshing and easy to make. I made it for my daughter-in-law and her mom for lunch, then served it as an appetizer for a neighborhood get together. I cut way back on the salt and served it with Almond Sea Salt crackers or a French Baguette. I did add some chopped snap peas and slivered almonds for some crunch. It is always a hit.
That sounds delicious, Lynn! Thanks for sharing.
I don’t really enjoy chicken breast that much, needed a way to use it without wasting it.
Found your recipe. Made as per directions….yum!
Next time, I didn’t have enough celery, added radish instead.
I didn’t have dill, so I added curry powder.
Really love this recipe, thank you!
Those substitutions sound delicious, Evie! Glad you enjoyed it.
Do you have a recipe to make just the chicken?
You can use rotisserie chicken or make this chicken recipe and chop or shred it.
I’m eating Keto right now… could I use chicken thighs instead of breast meat?
Hi Stephanie, we just need 2 cups of cooked chopped chicken for this recipe, so you can use chicken thighs if you prefer :)
Amazing!! Thank you!!!
took half a page to get to the ingredients but exalent
So glad you enjoyed it! There’s a “jump to recipe” button at the top of each page if you don’t need the extra tips and info.
Added red grapes. Was excellent warm weather dinner salad and will definitely make again followed rest of recipe as written
Didn’t djon so substituted yellow mustard and used the fresh dill. Absolutely amazing. Will definitely make again. Thank you
You’re very welcome Julie, so glad to hear how much you love this chicken salad!
What’s the serving portion for 1, 2 and 3?
Hi Linda, the serving portion is ½ cup. When you select the 1x, 2x, or 3x next to the recipe it gives you the updated ingredients to make the recipe as is, double it, or triple the recipe (so 6 servings, 12 servings, and 18 servings). Hope that helps!