Chocolate and Orange is one of those crazy flavor combinations that you would never expect to pair well but somehow it’s AMAZING. It’s like it was just meant to be. Kind of like those Chocolate Oranges we get in our stockings at Christmas! The ones you smash and then eat… I love those!
This dessert is one of my favorite no bake pie recipes! It starts out with a chocolate cookie crust filled with an amazing no bake orange filling and then it’s topped with a rich chocolate ganache! If you’ve never made ganache before, don’t let the fancy name scare you. It is literally the easiest thing ever to make! Just 2 ingredients and it takes just 5 minutes!
You will have extra ganache with this recipe. While the pie is in the fridge, I allow the remaining ganache to sit at room temperature. Once the pie (and the extra ganache) is completely cooled, I pipe it on to decorate and put the pie back in the refrigerator.
Items You’ll Need For This Recipe
Chocolate Orange Pie
- 1 package Oreo Cookies (24 cookies)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 package orange Jell-O (3.5 oz)
- 2 teaspoons orange extract
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 ½ cups whipped topping
- 1 can mandarin orange segments (approx. 11 oz)
Chocolate Ganache Topping
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Place Oreo cookies in a food processor and pulse until crushed. Add in melted butter and continue pulsing until well combined. Press into an 8" pie pan and refrigerate.
- Place Jell-o, orange extract and ⅔ cup boiling water in a bowl. Stir until dissolved.
- Pour ½ cup orange juice into a 1 cup measuring cup. Add enough ice to fill the measuring cup. Pour into the jello and stir until slightly thickened. Remove any remaining ice. Whisk in whipped topping and refrigerate until it can hold its shape (about 20 minutes).
- Drain mandarin oranges and place on paper towels to remove any excess moisture. (Optional: reserve a few for decoration).
- Mound ½ of the orange filling into the crust. Top with mandarin oranges and remaining Jell-o mixture. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until set before adding ganache topping.
- Heat heavy cream to boiling. Pour over chocolate chips and let sit for 4 minutes without stirring. Whisk until the mixture becomes dark and thick. Let cool for a few minutes if needed (to ensure it won't melt the pie). Pour approximately 1 cup of ganache over the pie. Let cool on the counter 20-30 minutes. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Cool remaining ganache to room temperature. Place in a piping bag and pipe along the edges of the pie. Top with reserved orange slices.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)