Easy Caprese Chicken is a fresh and easy dinner that is light, elegant, and jam-packed with flavor!
Chicken breasts are cooked with cherry tomatoes in a delicate white wine sauce and then topped with mozzarella cheese and fresh basil for flavor!
This easy chicken dinner has all of the flavors of our favorite Caprese salad. With just over 20 minutes from start to finish, this recipe is just the thing for a special evening or a quick weeknight meal.
Ingredients & Variations
This recipe really lends itself to a lot of substitutions and switches, so get creative!
- No fresh basil? Jarred pesto sauce will do in a pinch!
- No cherry tomatoes? Sun-dried tomatoes can be used instead, or diced tomatoes.
- No boneless chicken breasts? This recipe can also be made with chicken thighs, bone-in chicken breasts, or chicken drumsticks. Just be sure to check your cooking times and alter them as necessary.
To ensure the chicken is fully cooked use a meat thermometer and test to make sure it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
Easy to Make
It’s literally as easy 1, 2, 3 to pull this special dinner together!
- Fry and crumble bacon and set aside. Then saute and sear the chicken in bacon fat and remove from pan (per recipe below).
- Whisk the sauce ingredients in the pan, add the chicken and tomatoes, and simmer until cooked
- Cover with mozzarella cheese and broil until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Sprinkle with fresh basil before serving!
Lay basil leaves on top of one another, roll up, and then cut strips with a knife. This technique is known as ‘chiffonade’ and makes any entrée look extra elegant!
What to Serve with Caprese Chicken
Roasted cherry tomatoes go perfectly with pasta and the juices create a sauce of their own. This easy dish is great with any simple starch from roasted potatoes to pasta or even garlic mashed potatoes.
Don’t forget crusty bread or French bread for sopping up any juices!
Chicken for Dinner
- Oven Baked Chicken Breasts – tender & juicy chicken
- Creamy Tomato Chicken Pasta – an easy one-pot meal
- Cilantro Lime Chicken – marinated & broiled, baked, or grilled
- Chicken ala King – easy to make!
- Sheet Pan Greek Chicken – entire meal on one pan!
Did you love this Caprese Chicken? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Easy Caprese Chicken
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breasts boneless-skinless, about 5 oz each
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 ½ cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese grated
- fresh basil for serving
- Fry bacon in a 10" skillet until crisp. Remove bacon and reserved drippings.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Heat bacon drippings over medium high heat and add chicken. Brown 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken from the pan and set on a plate. Add garlic just until fragrant. Stir in wine and simmer 2-3 minutes. Whisk in butter.
- Add chicken and tomatoes to the pan. Simmer uncovered until tomatoes are cooked and chicken is cooked through, about 5-7 minutes.
- Top with cheeses and broil 1 minute. Sprinkle with fresh basil, stir in bacon and serve.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!