This Baked Brussel Sprouts Gratin recipe is one of the easiest ways to enjoy these colorful veggies. Brussel sprouts are baked in a cream and cheese sauce until hot and bubbly.
Flavorful Brussels Sprouts
Do you remember the way your mom used to make baked brussel sprouts when you were a kid? They often turn out bland. Even creamed brussel sprouts can be bland, but this recipe kicks up the flavor with loads and loads of cheddar and parmesan cheese!
Brussel sprouts have come into their own as a healthy, low carb alternative to other starchy vegetables like potatoes and corn. Not only are brussel sprouts packed with fiber, but this cheesy brussel sprouts recipe is low carb and keto friendly!
Feel free to add bits of bacon, sliced water chestnuts or even chicken for a full entrée! Everyone will be asking for seconds!
How to Cut Brussel Sprouts
Brussel sprouts are usually sold by the pound and pre-washed in bags at the supermarket. If you happen to find them at a farmer’s market or in the organic section, they might still be on their stalk, which can be anywhere from twelve inches to twenty four inches long!
Remove any torn or discolored leaves and rinse the brussel sprouts carefully. Pat them dry before cutting so they are easier to hold onto before cutting.
The best way to cut brussel sprouts is to slice them from the base off the stalk and then slice them vertically from the base all the way through, cleanly separating the halves.
How to Bake Brussel Sprouts Gratin
Rather than a thick cheesy sauce (like a Homemade Mac and Cheese has) these Brussels are sauteed and then baked with a simple light sauce so the flavor of the brussels really stands out.
- Season the cut brussel sprouts with salt and pepper.
- Saute in olive oil until just tender and slightly browned.
- Bring cream to a boil and whisk in cheese.
- Toss with brussels sprouts and bake!
A good brussel sprouts au gratin recipe calls for the perfect blend of cheese, in this case I use cheddar and parmesan cheese. Be sure the cheese is fully melted before pouring over the brussel sprouts.
This cheesy creamy brussel sprout gratin is easy to freeze and reheat, too! Chill overnight in the refrigerator before portioning into freezer bags. Label each back with the name and date and pop it in the freezer for an easy weeknight side dish everyone will love!
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Sauteed Brussel Sprouts
- Easy Bread Crumb Brussels Sprouts
- Brussel Sprout Salad
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
Brussel sprouts gratin
- 2 lbs Brussel sprouts halved lengthwise (quartered if large)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Season Brussel sprouts with salt and pepper. Cook in a skillet over medium high heat 5-6 minutes or until tender crisp and slightly browned. Pour into a 2 qt (8x8) dish.
- In the same pan, heat heavy cream, onion powder, salt and pepper to boiling. Reduce heat and let simmer 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in parmesan cheese and 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Pour over Brussel sprouts.
- Top with remaining 1/3 cup cheddar cheese and bake 20-25 minutes or until browned and bubbly.