Turkey Meatloaf is made with lean ground turkey, seasonings and shredded veggies for moisture. It’s all topped off with a zesty sauce and baked until tender.
To Make the BEST Turkey Meatloaf
Turkey Meatloaf is an easy meal and one my family requests all of the time! I switch between making our favorite easy Meatloaf made with beef and this turkey meatloaf recipe. Or recently, this delicious chicken parmesan meatloaf!
Meatloaf has been a favorite of mine since I was little but now that I’m older I try to balance my meals throughout the week… if I’m eating something indulgent (like my most favorite Mac and Cheese in the whole world) then I like to choose a healthier protein to go with it like this turkey meatloaf or Easy Grilled Chicken Breast.
Moist Turkey Meatloaf Tips
- Do not to overmix (this causes a tough/dense meatloaf)
- Cook it on a sheet pan instead of a loaf pan so it doesn’t steam
- Shredded veggies add moisture to lean meats
- Rest a few minutes after baking so it holds its shape
How to Make Turkey Meatloaf
- Combine breadcrumbs with eggs and tomato sauce (see recipe below).
- Gently mix in ground turkey (or chicken) and shredded zucchini or mushrooms.
- Form into a loaf on a baking sheet and bake.
Mini Meatloaf Muffins
To make turkey meatloaf muffins, prepare turkey meatloaf mixture as directed. Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full with meatloaf mixture and bake 20-25 minutes or until 165°F.
What temperature is turkey meatloaf done?
I most often cook turkey meatloaf at 375°F. This allows the meatloaf to cook through without drying out and keeps the inside moist.
A ground chicken or ground turkey meatloaf should reach an internal temperature of 165°F. I always use a meat thermometer to helps ensure it’s done without overcooking. You can get an inexpensive instant read thermometer for under $10.
How Long to Cook Turkey Meatloaf
The times below can vary slightly so it’s best to use a thermometer (above). With ground turkey or ground chicken, you want to be certain the meatloaf reaches 165°F. (I usually take it out at about 162°F because it rises a couple of degrees while resting).
- Bake a 1 lb turkey meatloaf for 45-55 minutes.
- Bake a 2 lb turkey meatloaf for 50-60 minutes.
- Bake a 3 lb turkey meatloaf for 65-75 minutes.
Make sure you let your meatloaf rest for about 10 minutes before slicing. This will help ensure it doesn’t fall apart stays moist and juicy!
Why is this Meatloaf Recipe “Best?”
- It’s Leaner: The meatloaf mixture using ground turkey makes this easy meatloaf a healthier alternative to a traditional meatloaf as it’s a little bit leaner!
- It’s Moist: It’s also kept extra moist because it has shredded veggies added in.
- A Zesty Sauce: I love the zesty addition of Chili Sauce, but feel free to use ketchup in its place if you don’t have it! If you are not familiar with Chili Sauce, it is NOT spicy but is just a deliciously zesty sauce similar to ketchup but less sweet.
More Meatloaf Recipes
- The Best Meatloaf Recipe
- Mini Meatloaf Muffins
- Crockpot Meatloaf
- Homemade Patty Melt Recipe
- Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- 1 cup zucchini or mushrooms, finely shredded
- salt & pepper to taste
Turkey Meatloaf Sauce
- ⅓ cup tomato sauce
- ⅓ cup chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Cook onion and butter in a pan until onion is translucent (about 5 minutes). Cool.
- In a bowl, combine bread crumbs, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato sauce. Let sit 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and mix just until combined, do not overmix.
- Form into a loaf about 4″ wide and 3″ high. Bake for 35 minutes.
- Combine Meatloaf Sauce Ingredients. Spread on top and bake an additional 20 minutes or until center of meatloaf reaches 165°F.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)