This sweet and moist apple dump cake is ready in no time.
No fancy ingredients or methods, this is an easy apple dessert. Simply dump the ingredients in a pan and bake! All of the classic flavor of apple pie in a cobbler-style cake with almost no effort.
Serve with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
An Easy Apple Dump Cake!
A dump cake gets its name from how easy it is to prepare. Simply dump in the ingredients and bake. No mixer, no stirring!
- Just five ingredients! So easy!
- The addition of fresh apples is optional but we love the flavor it adds.
- This takes about 5 minutes to prepare, perfect to pop into the oven while you sit down to dinner!
- This simple dessert has room for variety, so save this recipe formula for future mix-and-match dump cake dessert combos!
- Cook apple dump cake up to a day in advance and keep refrigerated until ready to reheat and serve.
Ingredients in Apple Dump Cake
Cake Mix – No need to buy a fancy brand or specific flavor. Try white cake, yellow cake mix, or even spice cake mix!
Apple Filling – Use fresh fruit to up-level your dump cake! Homemade apple pie filling works in this recipe too or a used canned from the store. I love to add a few fresh apples if I have them on hand.
Optional Additions & Variations
- Add chopped nuts like pecans or walnuts.
- Punch up the apple pie flavor with a DIY apple spice blend.
Dump Cake Combos – Dump cakes are so easy to make and the options are endless! Try some of the following…
- Dark chocolate or fudge cake + cherry pie filling
- White cake + peaches
- Yellow cake + blueberry or raspberry
- Red velvet cake + blueberries
How to Make a Dump Cake
This cake is quick and easy to throw together. Perfect for a last-minute dessert for the next potluck or picnic.
- Spread the pie filling & fresh apples into a baking dish.
- Top with the dry cake mix.
- Pour melted butter on top of the cake mix. Do not stir the layers.
- Bake until golden brown and cool per the recipe below.
Drizzle the cake with caramel sauce or top with ice cream if you’d like.
Storing Leftover Dump Cake
Keep leftover apple dump cake in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. It’s very moist so won’t last long on the counter.
Easy as (Apple) Pie!
Did you make this Apple Dump Cake for a crowd? Leave us a rating and a comment below!
Apple Dump Cake
- 1 box cake mix 15.25 oz, white cake, yellow cake or spice cake mix
- 2 cans apple pie filling 21 ounces each
- 3 large apples optional
- ¾ cup butter melted
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon or to taste, or 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13 pan.
- Peel apples, remove the core, and dice into bite-sized pieces. Spread diced apples on the bottom of the prepared bottom. Top with apple pie filling.
- Evenly sprinkle cake mix over top of pie filling. DO NOT MIX.
- Pour melted butter over cake mix and sprinkle cinnamon on top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- Fresh apples are optional but add great flavor to the cake.
- Use white, yellow, or spice cake mix.
- Do not mix the layers together.
- Ensure you cover as much of the cake mix as possible with the melted butter to avoid dry spots.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.