Zucchini Pancakes are the perfect way to enjoy the perfect vegetable, zucchini! Shredded zucchini is tossed with parmesan cheese, flour, and spices then fried into perfectly delicious bites.
Serve the these veggie pancakes with a dollop of sour cream or marinara sauce for the perfect healthy appetizer or side dish!
Zucchini Pancakes or Fritters
I usually think of fritters as a crisp deep fried item, almost like hush puppies. Zucchini has a lot of moisture giving these zucchini pancakes are a texture that is a cross between a pancake and a fritter; golden and crisp on the outside and soft and tender in the middle.
Zucchini is over 90% water so in these pancakes, I pre-cook the zucchini to remove the moisture and squeeze out any remaining moisture. Many people salt the zucchini but I prefer the method of cooking the zucchini first (along with the white onion).
How To Shred Zucchini
When you make zucchini pancakes, shredding the zucchini helps to keep it thin enough to shape them. I use the large side of a standard box cheese grater to shred zucchini.
You don’t need to worry about peeling zucchini before you shred it as the peel softens a ton when it is cooked. You will hardly notice it in your dish.
How To Make Zucchini Pancakes
When we make zucchini pancakes, cook the shredded zucchini first to eliminate some of the water. This keeps the pancakes from becoming soggy and helps to hold them together while they cook.
Mix your ingredients and drop about 1 ½ tablespoons into the hot pan. Cook ‘em for about 5 minutes on each side or until you see a beautiful crispy and caramelized exterior!
Serve zucchini pancakes with an array of dipping sauces like pico de gallo, sour cream, hot sauce… there’s no wrong answer here!
More Zucchini Faves
- Easy Baked Zucchini – Reader favorite (and so crazy easy).
- Zucchini Cake – Incredibly moist.
- Grilled Zucchini – Great summer recipe!
- Zucchini Bread – The perfect bread, freezes well!
- Zucchini Casserole– Fresh and delicious!
- Easy Zoodles (Zucchini Noodles) – Naturally low carb with lots of flavor!
- 2 large zucchini or 3 small
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- Cook shredded zucchini in a non-stick pan until tender, about 5 minutes. Cool and using cheesecloth or a tea towel, squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, seasonings and cheeses. Add zucchini and egg.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a frying pan over medium high. Drop zucchini mixture by large tablespoons into hot oil. Spread to 3" circles.
- Fry about 3-4 minutes on each side flipping as needed.
- Serve warm with sour cream or tomato sauce.