Broccoli and cheese is the most universal pairing of two amazing flavors!
This classic, cheesy recipe takes broccoli to the next level; everyone likes it! Don’t be afraid to make a homemade cheese sauce, it’s super easy!
Yummy Cheesy Side Dish
Broccoli and Cheese is a match made in heaven and goes well with so many entrees. Try it with breaded pork chops, baked chicken breast, or meatloaf!
I cook this all in one pan to make it easy with less mess!
This side dish will quickly be a favorite, especially with the kids!
The sauce is quick, easy and homemade cheesy!
Ingredients & Variations
Broccoli and cheese is perfect just on its own, but switching up a few add-ins is perfectly okay!
BROCCOLI Fresh, crisp pieces of broccoli are steamed in a pan. Frozen can be used as well, whatever you have on hand (add cauliflower if you’d like)!
SAUCE Milk, cornstarch, cheddar and parmesan, and salt & pepper are all that’s needed to make this cheesy sauce!
VARIATIONS Steam carrots or mushrooms with the broccoli to use up any fresh veggies you may have! Why not add some frozen diced veggies or some crumbled bacon bits on the top of the cheese?
How to Steam Broccoli
This recipe uses a shortcut way to steam/simmer the broccoli.
- Rinse pieces of broccoli and trim stems towards the floret part of the vegetable.
- Add broccoli to a shallow pan with a bit of water.
- Bring to a simmer and cover for a few minutes (per recipe below).
Remove the broccoli from the pan, discard the bit of water and make the sauce in the same pan. Easy peasy!
How to Make Cheese Sauce
This cheese sauce is insanely easy and totally no-fail.
- Whisk milk and corn starch in a skillet (per recipe below).
- Place the skillet on the heat and whisk until milk is thickened.
- Once thickened add cheese and stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper
- Start with fresh broccoli that is trimmed, cleaned, and of uniform size for even cooking.
- Whisk the cheese sauce slowly so that all the ingredients are fully incorporated and cook the cheese sauce on a low heat.
More Broccoli Favorites
- Homemade Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Cheesy Broccoli Casserole
- Broccoli Rice Casserole from Scratch
- Broccoli Salad
- Creamy Broccoli Slaw
- Beef and Broccoli
- Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
Did your kids love this Broccoli and Cheese recipe? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Quick Broccoli and Cheese
- 4 cups broccoli
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese grated
- salt & pepper to taste
- Wash broccoli and place it in a non-stick skillet. Add 1 cup water and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Cover broccoli and steam 3-5 minutes. Remove & place in a bowl. Cover to keep warm.
- Whisk milk and cornstarch together in a bowl. Pour into the skillet and whisk over medium heat until mixture thickens.
- Turn heat to low and add cheese. Whisk until smooth.
- Season with salt & pepper and serve over broccoli.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
I love this recipe! It’s my first time making this dish and I will make it regularly! Thank you for sharing!
I’m so glad to hear you loved this recipe as much as we do Monica!
I made this last night for dinner. This is a definite keeper! My husband and I enjoyed it so much we had no leftovers. I’ll definitely be trying this with other veggies and introducing it to my grandkids. We’ll done!
This recipe is always a hit with kids! I am so glad you and your husband enjoyed this recipe Cynthia!
Great Post ! about the Yummy Cheesy Side Dish, Keep Sharing
Just tried this recipe it was delicious.
So happy to hear that, Renae! Glad you enjoyed it.
Quick and easy indeed!
My husband loved it! Thanks for this recipe.
Yay, so happy your husband enjoyed this recipe! :)
Ha just give him the cheese next time so he can dip it with meat or other dippable food items mm garlic bread yum!