These tender Fingerling Potatoes make an unforgettable side dish simply seasoned and oven roasted.
What are Fingerling Potatoes?
Fingerling potatoes are heirloom potatoes and they are long, stubby, and cylindrical in shape; almost like a finger.
They aren’t the same as new potatoes, but they also have delicate skin. Because the skin is so fine, these potatoes don’t need to be peeled. Once roasted they come out with a soft buttery texture that is less starchy than a russet potato.
Perfect Oven Potatoes
- Similar to yellow potatoes with a more delicate flavor, fingerlings are great in the oven.
- No need to peel, prep is easy, simply cut the potatoes in half lengthwise (prep can be done hours before cooking).
- They can be tossed with oil and the same seasonings you use on your usual roasted potatoes.
- Bake fingerling potatoes at a high temperature so they can brown, they’re tender so they don’t take that long to cook.
Ingredients & Variations
POTATOES: This recipe calls for the smooth and delicate fingerling potato. Purchase potatoes that are bright, firm, and blemish-free. However, don’t worry if they can’t be found in the supermarket, they can easily be substituted for new potatoes or even Yukon gold cut into 1 ½” pieces.
SEASONINGS: Use what you have and what you love, almost anything goes! Rosemary, thyme, or chopped sage are all great in this recipe (dried or fresh). A sprinkle of fresh parsley before serving adds freshness and color.
VARIATIONS: Add some diced onion or extra herbs, or shake it up and add a carrot to the potatoes, or even Brussels.
How to Roast Fingerling Potatoes
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise.
- Toss potatoes in a bowl with olive oil & spices.
- Place on a baking sheet & bake (per recipe below).
In the Air Fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 400°F. Cut the potatoes, coat with spices and oil. Place in the air fryer. Cook for 7 minutes. Sprinkle with parmesan and cook for another 8 minutes.
ips for Potato Perfection
Here are some tips to make the perfect potatoes:
- They’ll cook best if the potatoes are the same size (the really small ones can be left whole, extra large ones can be quartered).
- Line the pan with parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- Don’t crowd the potatoes. With a little space, they come out deliciously extra crispy.
- Use a hot oven (400°F) to get a nice browning on the potatoes.
Our Fave Potatoes
- Twice Baked Potatoes – a make-ahead dish
- Rosemary Air Fryer Potato Wedges – perfect for dipping
- Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes – so creamy & flavorful
- Easy Hasselback Potatoes – an elegant side dish
- Rosemary Roasted Baby Potatoes – crispy on the outside
- Creamed Potatoes – with green peas
Did your family love these Roasted Fingerling Potatoes? Leave us a comment and a rating below!
Oven Baked Fingerling Potatoes
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme leaves or 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine potatoes, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and mix until evenly coated.
- Spread onto a baking sheet flat side down and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top, return to the oven and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown in color.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)