Chocolate chip scones are perfect for dipping or dunking for breakfast or for dessert!
They are flaky and buttery with lots of chocolate chips in every bite!
A Breakfast Favorite
- This version is sweet and chocolaty while being light and flaky!
- They are great to make ahead and freeze well either before or after baking.
- Brush them with a simple glaze before serving for an extra touch of sweetness.
- Eat them warm with honey butter, pumpkin butter, or some decadent whipped strawberry butter.
FLOUR MIXTURE The dough for this recipe is a bit like biscuits but it contains egg. We use all purpose flour with a bit of baking powder (and sugar).
BUTTER Ensure you use cold unsalted butter. The key is in the process of cutting in the butter with the flour to create the perfect ‘crumb’ which creates flaky layers. But, don’t worry, it’s easy!
CHOCOLATE CHIPS Mini chocolate chips ensure chocolate in every bite. We prefer semi-sweet in this recipe.
GLAZE Topped with a white glaze made from cream and powdered sugar, mini chocolate chip scones are the perfect breakfast pastry, brunch-time tea pastry, or pick me up in the afternoon!
How to Make Chocolate Chip Scones
Scones come together so easily, for a quick and easy snack or continental breakfast.
- Combine dry ingredients. Using a pastry cutter, cut butter into the dough until it is just smaller than peas.
- In another bowl, whisk cream, eggs, & vanilla. Add wet mixture to the dry, stirring until just mixed.
- On a lightly floured surface, turn dough & knead until it’s shaped into an 8” round; cut into 8 equal pieces.
- Bake until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack before coating with glaze.
When kneading the dough, work quickly as you don’t want the dough to get too warm.
Tips for Perfect Scones
- The butter will perform better if it’s cut into very small cubes and blended into the flour mixture cold.
- Avoid overhandling the dough once it’s in the shaping step because the warmth of your hands will melt the butter and condense the dough. You want a light, airy scone that has plenty of air pockets.
- Freeze scones before baking if desired. Bake from frozen for 18-22 minutes.
Did you love these Mini Chocolate Chip Scones? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Mini Chocolate Chip Scones
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup cold butter
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and using a pastry cutter, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in chocolate chips and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine heavy cream, eggs, & vanilla. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until it holds together. (if it’s dry you can add a little bit of additional milk.)
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough by folding and gently pressing dough for 10 to 12 strokes until nearly smooth. Pat or lightly roll dough into an 8-inch circle and cut into 8 wedges.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove scones from baking sheet. Let slightly cool and top with glaze.
- Stir together powdered sugar and heavy cream.
- Pour the glaze over each scone and smooth with a pastry brush, let glaze on scones set on a wire rack.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
This original version of this recipe was found at King Arthur Flour!