This simple squash recipe makes deliciously soft, buttery, and sweet microwave acorn squash in minutes!
Cook up a squash or two with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon for the perfect easy side dish!
Sweet & Savory Squash
- Acorn squash tastes great in the microwave even though it cooks in a fraction of the time compared to the oven.
- One small acorn squash can equal two servings, a larger one can make up to 4 servings!
- Cook them sweet with brown sugar and butter or add your own savory seasonings.
- Make them as is or make them stuffed with your favorite fillings like ground sausage, brown rice, spinach, or dried cranberries for a festive entrée!
Ingredients and Variations
Acorn Squash: A whole acorn squash should be dark on the outside and feel heavy in your hands without any soft spots. Acorn squash can vary in size from 8oz to about 1 ½ lbs. This recipe uses a medium sized squash, about 1lb.
Seasonings: Keep it sweet like this recipe or make it savory with a DIY seasoning blend like lemon pepper and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- A quick brush of maple syrup, honey, can be used in place of a sprinkle of sugar. Sugar substitutes will work just fine too.
- Add a dash of sriracha for a new flavor!
- Melted bacon grease really punches up the flavor for a savory acorn squash in place of butter.
How to Cook Acorn Squash in the Microwave
- Cut squash in half vertically, scoop out the insides with a spoon & discard the seeds (or cook them like roast pumpkin seeds).
- Place squash cut-side-down in a baking dish. Cook until just fork tender per the recipe below.
- Flip the squash over and brush with butter, sugar, and cinnamon. Microwave, a few minutes more.
- Keep leftover microwave acorn squash in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat in the microwave or chop up and add to a stir fry, a casserole, or an omelet. Make a healthy wrap by adding lettuce greens for an energizing workday lunch!
- Freeze portions in zippered bags for up to 4 months. Thaw before using.
Sweet & Savory Squash
Did you make this Microwave Acorn Squash? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Microwave Acorn Squash
- 1 medium acorn squash about 1 pound
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- Cut the squash in half vertically. Use a large spoon to scoop out the seeds and discard them.
- Place the squash in a baking dish, cut side down with 2 tablespoons water.
- Microwave the squash for 8-10 minutes or until tender and almost cooked through when poked with a fork.
- While the squash is cooking, mix softened butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Flip the squash over and brush with the butter mixture. Microwave for 2 minutes more.
- Acorn squash can vary in size from 1/2 lb to 3 lbs, cooking time will vary.
- Microwaves can vary, and some squash will have thinner and thicker flesh. Check smaller squash at 5 minutes, larger squash may need as long as 10-12 minutes.
- If cooking two smaller squash (four halves) cooking time will increase to 9-10 minutes.
- Leftover squash can be stored in a covered container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freeze cooled portions in a zippered bag for up to 4 months. Add to soups, stews, or casseroles.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!