Layered Dorito Casserole is an easy family favorite recipe! Lean ground beef is seasoned with taco seasoning and salsa to create a delicious filling. Layers of Doritos create a delicious base for this casserole which is then topped with cheese and baked until brown and bubbly. We top it with our favorite taco inspired toppings!
This casserole was DELICIOUS!! And yes, it is okay to have Doritos for dinner once in a while, especially in this recipe!! (Plus we topped it with lettuce & tomatoes, that’s got to count for something right? ;) ).
This recipe has lean ground beef seasoned, cooked with salsa and mixed with sour cream for a delicious filling. In fact, the filling is SO good that it makes a great dip for tortilla chips or is the perfect filling to wrap in tortillas with your favorite taco toppings!
While I’ve used lean beef, if you prefer a chicken casserole, you can substitute 2 cups of chopped cooked chicken in place of the ground beef. Black beans or even a can of refried beans make a great addition to the filling. You’ll need a total of about 4 1/2 cups of slightly crushed Doritos so I use the family sized bag (Approx 17oz). Any flavor works but I used the Nacho Cheese and it was delicious!
Layered Doritos Casserole
- 1 family size bag Doritos, any flavor (I used Nacho Cheese) 235 g bag
- 1 onion diced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 package low sodium taco seasoning or homemade taco seasoning
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can cream of chicken or mushroom soup
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I used tex mex blend or cheddar)
- Sour Cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook ground beef with onion and garlic until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Add taco seasoning, salsa and ⅓ cup of water. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine beef mixture, sour cream, soup and 1 cup of cheese.
- Slightly crush Doritos (not completely, you don’t want crumbs). Layer 1 ½ cups Doritos in the bottom of a 2 qt casserole dish . Top with ½ of the beef mixture. Repeat layers. Finally top with an additional 1 to 1 ½ cups Doritos and remaining cheese.
- Spray a piece of foil with cooking spray and cover casserole.
- Bake 30 minutes covered, remove foil and bake uncovered for an additional 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Top with lettuce, tomatoes and olives if desired.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
More Casseroles You’ll Love