There’s nothing quite like a Hot Toddy to warm you up when the weather gets chilly! Mixed with whiskey or other spirits, cinnamon and citrus, with tea or without…. a custom-made Hot Toddy has its own uniquely comforting flavor!
What is a Hot Toddy?
A Hot Toddy is a traditional drink sometimes confused with “grog.” The word “toddy” seems to come from British controlled India, where a drink was made from the fermented sap of palm trees and called a “taddy.”
For our purposes, a Hot Toddy is simply a delicious combination of hot water, liquor, cinnamon, honey and lemon. Or in Canada, sometimes maple syrup is used instead of honey!
This cocktail is not hard to make, and besides being the perfect hot cocktail to relax with, it’s also commonly enjoyed during cold and flu season.
What Alcohol to Use for A Hot Toddy
This recipe calls for dark rum, which is an absolutely perfect combination, but Hot Toddies are often mixed with whiskey, bourbon or brandy. Brandy is especially good on a cold day, it’ll get you warm and toasty!
Whatever you choose depends on your personal tastes or on what you happen to have on hand!
Any good whiskey (or dark rum) can be used. A few to try:
- Rum Kraken Black Spiced Rum
- Makers Mark is a sweeter whiskey, so you could try this one with tea!
- Copper and Kings Butchertown Brand, it tastes good at an affordable price point.
How To Make A Hot Toddy
It’s so easy to make, in just a few minutes you’ll have the perfect drink in hand:
- Add cinnamon sticks and cloves into two cups or Irish Coffee mugs. (For an extra hot drink, rinse the cups out with hot water first.)
- Add boiling water. If using tea, add it now.
- Add honey, spirits, and remaining ingredients, stir until honey is dissolved.
Garnish with lemon slices and enjoy!
That’s all it takes to have a cup of pure comfort! Feel free to switch it up and create variations on this drink or allow guests to create their own special concoctions. Some variations to try could include:
- Orange slices
- Vanilla extract (go for the real deal, not imitation vanilla… and use just a drop or two)
- Grated or sliced ginger
- Several different flavors of tea like Triple Bergamot Earl Grey, fruit teas, etc.
There are a lot of possibilities when it comes to creating a custom-made Hot Toddy, so don’t be shy, try a few different options.
Hot Beverages to Enjoy
- Homemade Apple Cider – deliciously spiced apple drink
- Pumpkin Spice Latte – better than Starbucks
- Irish Coffee – great after-dinner sipper!
- Spiked Eggnog Latte – delicious twist on a classic
Cozy Hot Toddy Recipe
- 2 cups boiling water or hot tea
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 ounces dark rum or whiskey or bourbon
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cloves
- 2 slices lemon
- Add cinnamon sticks and cloves to two mugs.
- Pour boiling water and let steep 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in honey, rum and lemon juice. Add lemon slices and serve.
Rum can be replaced with whisky or bourbon.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!