Turn a sweet and juicy summer fruit into an adorable watermelon cake that everyone will love.
Nothing beats a cool and refreshing slice of watermelon on those hot summer days. In this recipe, watermelon is served up like cake but tastes so much more refreshing! Enjoy a slice topped with whipped topping and fresh berries!
What is Watermelon Cake?
Fresh and healthy, watermelon cake isn’t a cake at all! In this easy recipe, watermelon is cut into a cylinder and ‘iced’ with whipped topping. Garnish it up with fresh fruit, berries, or even slivered almonds.
- This cake is a simple version of a watermelon cake.
- This watermelon cake is so quick and easy to make.
- Serve this sweet cake for a birthday party, or a wedding, or bring it to the next picnic, BBQ, or pool party.
- Dress this up with all kinds of additional fruit for a colorful cake.
- Healthy and thirst-quenching, this dessert is perfect for those hot summer days.
Ingredients & Variations
WATERMELON: Choose a seedless watermelon for the best results. To choose the best watermelon that is sweet and juicy:
- Make sure that the fruit is heavy for its size, is uniform in shape, has no cracks, and isn’t mushy in spots.
- Also, check for the yellow spot. This is formed when the melon has been resting in the field, and it means that the watermelon has been vine-ripened.
- It is also a good idea to give the watermelon a little tap. It should have a deep sound.
TOPPING: This cake is topped with some cool whip or cool whip light. Or make a homemade whipped cream with some vanilla extract and powdered sugar if serving right away.
How to Make Watermelon Cake
This cake is a healthy and adorable addition to any picnic or party!
- Cut the watermelon so it can stand upright and shape into a cake.
- Pat the watermelon dry to remove moisture on the outside (as per the recipe below) so the whipped topping sticks to it.
- Frost with dessert topping. Decorate as desired.
- Serve by cutting the watermelon into wedges.
How to Decorate Watermelon Cake
To dress up this cake, add some cut strawberries to the topping or any other fruit. Or cut some watermelon into star shapes, and then attach these pieces to the watermelon with some toothpicks.
- mini chocolate chips or chocolate shavings
- fresh raspberries or blueberries
- mint for garnish
- sliced almonds or chopped pecans
Make Ahead and Leftovers
If using whipped topping, this watermelon cake can be made up to 8 hours in advance and stored on a serving platter in the fridge uncovered.
Keep any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If bringing it to an outdoor event, it may be a good idea to keep it on ice.
Did you make this Watermelon Cake? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Fresh Watermelon Cake
- 1 whole seedless watermelon for a large cake or ½ watermelon for a small cake
- 1-2 tubs dessert topping such a Cool Whip or Cool Whip light
- fresh berries and/or nuts for garnish
- Cut the ends off of the watermelon so it can stand upright.
- Using a sharp knife, trim off the rind. Finally, trim around the watermelon to give it a "cake" shape.
- Once cut, use paper towels to completely dab the watermelon dry. You don't need to squeeze it but the surface should be as dry as possible.
- Frost the watermelon with the dessert topping using an offset spatula.
- Use berries or topping of your choice to decorate the cake.
- The amount of whipped topping needed will vary based on the size of the watermelon.
- To serve, cut the ‘cake’ into wedges.
- We attempted several ways to make a layer cake and it hold up well.
- Keep any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.