Grilled Chicken Breast is a quick meal with tender, juicy chicken in a flavorful marinade.
It’s extra quick to make and perfect to enjoy on its own, add to pasta, or even put on top of a salad!
A quick and flavorful marinade and an even quicker grill time means this meal is on the table in no time at all!
How to Make Marinade for Grilled Chicken Breasts
Before grilling chicken breast, let it marinate for a little bit. A Marinade adds flavor and it can help tenderizes grilled chicken.
- Oil: Oil is the base of this marinades, it helps distribute flavors and prevents sticking.
- Acid: This breaks down tough proteins, tenderizing the meat. (vinegar/lemon juice).
- Sugar: Adds flavor and promotes caramelization. (honey/brown sugar).
- Seasonings: Seasonings define the flavor profile. I use a little Italian seasoning but add in your favorite herbs and spices.
How to Make Grilled Chicken Breast
Oven-Baked Chicken Breasts are always on our table in the winter but come warm weather our table is filled with recipes from the grill or BBQ! It’s easy to make:
- Pound Chicken: Pound chicken to 1/2″ thickness with a meat mallet for even cooking.
- Marinate: Prep the marinade (per the recipe below) & let the chicken marinate for 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Grill: Preheat grill to medium-high heat & cook chicken for 6-8 min per side.
Use Medium-High Heat
A higher heat seals in juices and gives a nice sear while keeping the chicken breasts nice and moist.
How Long to Grill Chicken Breasts
How long to grill chicken breasts can vary slightly depending on the heat of the grill and the thickness of the chicken breasts.
After the chicken is marinated, it’s time to hit the grill. Place the breasts on the grill and cook for about 7-8 minutes on one side. No peeking or lifting, so you retain those lovely grill marks!
Flip the chicken and let it cook for another 7-8 minutes or until it reaches 165°F in the thickest part of the breast on a meat thermometer.
It is important to allow the chicken to rest for about 3-5 minutes before cutting to keep it juicy (just enough time to fill your plate and get to the table). Serve with your favorite sides, and preferably on a patio with a big pitcher of Easy White Sangria!
Our Go-To Grilled Veggies
Did your family love these Grilled Chicken Breasts? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Easy Grilled Chicken Breasts
- ⅓ cup oil olive oil or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup cider vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt or to taste
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a bowl or freezer bag. Add chicken and toss well to combine.
- Marinate for 30 minutes (or up to 4 hours) before cooking chicken.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, allowing the excess to drip off. Discard the remaining marinade.
- Place chicken on the grill for 7-8 minutes. Flip over and cook an additional 7-8 minutes or until no pink remains and chicken reaches 165°F.
- Rest 3-5 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Excellent! My husband took a bite and said,” I’d eat that!” I had to cook inside the house on the grill. Turned out very delicious. We will make again. Summer is here good outside grilling. I think it would be perfect on kabobs!
This grilled chicken recipe it the greatest I’ve ever had. I’ve shared it with many people and they love it. Children will not stop eating it and we know how picky they are. I make a ton of chicken breast and cut it up and freeze it so I have it for salads and quesadillas. My favorite recipe for sure.
I am so happy to hear you love this recipe Mary!
Needed something in a pinch and this was delicious!!!!!
This was very good, but a bit saltier than we prefer. Will most likely make again, but will maybe cut the salt in half.
Yummmmm. My two boys said this is the best chicken they ever had.
Could you marinate cooked chicken and then heat it up before serving?
I haven’t tried it so I can’t say for sure Krissy. It should work and If you try it I would love to hear how it turns out!
uh, where’s that sauce at the end come from?
If you are referring to the video, the drizzle is the juices that were on the plate after resting the chicken.
How this recipe is so highly rated, I cannot fathom. It tastes musty, muddled, and plain. Strange ingredient mix…I should’ve listened to my inner chef saying, “What? How weird!” If you’re looking for a tasty way to prepare grilled chicken breasts, this is not it.
This recipe looks good. How to cook on stovetop grill pan? Don’t have a barbecue grill
Hi June, to cook chicken breast on a stovetop I love this recipe! You can follow step 2 for my stovetop instructions. Enjoy!
I followed this recipe exactly as written and my chicken turned out fantastic!! Definitely a keeper.
I made this recipe for our 4th of July cookout, and it was great!! This marinade gave the chicken SO MUCH flavor!! I used boneless, skinless chicken thigh pieces instead and reduced the sugar a tad. Will use this recipe again! Thank you!
So easy and delicious! I left out the sugar and it was still great. Will definitely make again
This recipe is so delicious. We all enjoyed it. Thank u so much. Will definitely make it again.