Scalloped potatoes are the perfect comfort food… creamy, rich and cheesy; but they always take so long to cook! Every time a recipe says 65-90 minutes, I plan the meal around that and they are NEVER done on time! My mom taught me an easy little trick that speeds up the cooking of the potatoes and has them ready on time every time! If you just pop them in boiling water for just a few minutes before you put this together, you will cut down your cooking time by as much as an hour!
This scalloped potatoes recipe is quick and easy to put together yet tastes incredibly delicious!
Items you’ll need for this recipe
* Potatoes * Casserole Dish * Cheese*
EASY CHEESY SCALLOPED POTATOES (AND THE SECRET TO GETTING THEM TO COOK QUICKLY!)
- 2 lbs yellow potatoes
- 1 can cream of mushroom chicken or celery soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- black pepper to taste
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash potatoes and slice 1/4″ thick (no need to peel). Drop into boiling water for 5 minutes. During the last minute, add sliced onions to the water. Drain.
- Meanwhile, combine soup, milk, pepper and garlic powder in a bowl. Microwave until hot.
- Put a little bit of the soup mixture in the bottom of a greased 2qt casserole dish, a 9×9 pan or an oven safe pan. Layer 1/2 of the potatoes, 1/2 of the soup mixture and 1/2 of the cheese. Repeat layers ending with cheese.
- Bake at 375 for 45-55 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Here are a few more recipes you’ll love