Cranberry Relish is an absolute favorite Thanksgiving feast, but this easy recipe is something different than traditional cranberry sauce! Fresh cranberries with orange and apple give this homemade condiment the best citrus tang that everyone will… dare I say it? Relish!
What is Cranberry Relish?
Cranberry Relish is a condiment that is both sweet and tart. It goes great with poultry dish, or even pork. I always make extra because it has so many uses:
But Cranberry Relish really shines as a leftover, where you can put it to work:
- Use it on leftover turkey sandwiches – yum!
- Put a dollop on vanilla ice cream – what a combo!
- Great in yogurt with granola!
- Terrific on baked brie!
How To Make Cranberry Relish
This is so easy and so delicious to make! Have it prepared in 3 simple steps.
- Chop orange and apple in a food processor.
- Chop cranberries separately, and add to the other fruit.
- Add the other ingredients, mix well, and chill.
Fridge: The spices and sugar allow this to keep in the refrigerator about a week. It will really meld and become more saucy, less crunchy, as the sugars break it down. If you opted for adding chopped pecan, they will change texture and soften a bit but still taste great.
Can I Freeze Cranberry Relish?
Cranberry Relish is a great thing to freeze if you have leftovers, or it can be a make ahead dish, as it will freeze well for three months. Then all you have to do is pull it out and defrost in the fridge overnight, and it will be just as good as new! Just spoon the relish into freezer safe bags or airtight containers, leaving a half inch of room for expansion.
With this versatile condiment on hand, you’ll always have something ready that will allow you to create a unique dessert or meal, so in my humble opinion, this is not a recipe to make only at the holidays, but anytime throughout the year!
More Yummy Ways to Use Cranberries!
- Cranberry Waldorf Salad – crowd pleaser
- Millionaire Cranberry Salad – great Thanksgiving side!
- Cranberry Trifle Recipe – beautiful dessert any time of year
- Broccoli Cranberry Salad – crisp, colorful, & delicious!
- 12 ounces cranberries
- 1 orange peeled, *see note
- 1 apple peeled and cored
- ½ cup brown sugar or to taste
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup pecans finely chopped, optional
- Chop the orange and apple in a food processor, transfer to a bowl.
- Chop cranberries and add to the orange/apple mixture.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Refrigerate at least 24 hours before serving.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)