Of all the summer salads, a classic chicken salad recipe is always a favorite at a picnic, a barbecue, or an office potluck! Just a few ingredients can be transformed into a cold, creamy salad or filling for a homemade chicken salad sandwich or wrap!
Keep this easy recipe on hand for last-minute sandwich prep when last-minute invitations come up! Serve this summer with a side of Italian pasta salad and crunchy grilled corn on the cob!
Ingredients in Chicken Salad
- Use leftovers from last night’s dinner or leftover rotisserie chicken or grilled chicken.
- To Make Chicken for chicken salad I like to use either poached chicken or baked chicken breasts or thighs.
- You can use canned chicken in a pinch but of course fresh is best when possible.
- Ensure the chicken is cooled and shred or chop the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- As this is a classic chicken salad recipe, I’ve kept the additions to a minimum. Celery for crunch, green onions for flavor.
- This recipe can be made with a variety of nuts, veggies, and fruit for added flavor and texture.
- Chicken salad with grapes, avocado or dried cranberries is a favorite. Pecans or almonds pair well with this recipe.
- Mayonnaise is the base of this recipe and it’s simply seasoned.
- You can get creative and substitute some of the mayo for ranch dressing or your favorite salad dressing recipe.
- Create an Avocado Chicken Salad by replacing some of the mayonnaise with mashed avocado.
How to Make Chicken Salad?
Prepare a classic chicken salad in 15 minutes with only a few simple ingredients.
- Chop cooked and cooled chicken and place into a large bowl with celery and onions.
- Mix dressing ingredients (per recipe below) in a bowl. Toss with chicken.
- Serve on rolls, bread or over a bead of lettuce.
For this chicken salad sandwich recipe, any bread will do, thick slices of a baguette or buns/rolls hold up well. This is naturally low carb and it’s great over a tossed salad as well.
REFRIGERATOR: In an airtight container, the chicken salad will last about a week in the refrigerator. Give it a stir and refresh the flavor with a little salt and pepper (or an extra dollop of Dijon mustard) and serve!
FREEZER: Chicken salad doesn’t freeze well. To prep ahead, simply dice the chicken and freeze. When ready to make, combine it with the ingredients below for a quick lunch!
- Pineapple Chicken Salad with Grapes – fresh summer favorite
- Best Egg Salad Recipe – All-American classic!
- Avocado Ranch Chicken Salad Wrap – loaded with flavor
- Bacon Ranch Chicken Salad – deliciously fresh & tasty!
- Classic Tuna Salad – ready in 10 minutes!
- Shrimp Salad – fabulous light entreé
Classic Chicken Salad
- 2 cups cooked chicken chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 green onion diced (or chives or red onion)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill optional
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve as a sandwich or over salad.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
hi holly i made your chicken salad for the first time! i love the combo of simple ingredients thanks
I am so glad you enjoyed this recipe Nina!
Use this recipe all the time. It is easy and makes a delicious egg salad. Easy peasy.
Absolutely delicious. Followed directions w/o altering. This will now be my ‘go to’ chicken salad recipe going forward.
I look forward to experimenting with other suggested variations.
Thanks for sharing your recipe!!
When it comes to chicken salad, this is the best of the best. I have made this several times and it never fails. I have added grapes which is a nice addition but I have to say, my absolute favorite is the recipe as is. The Dijon mustard, green onion, and dill are perfection.
A family favorite for sure!
Thank you Holly for this five star winner.
This is the best and easiest chicken salad! My picky 1 year old even loves it. Thank you so much!
I was looking for a chicken salad recipe that tasted like my grandmother’s and this is it. So good!
Best chicken salad recipe! I’ve made this so many times since I discovered it. I make it exactly as written except sometimes I add extra veggies like tomato and cucumber on top or use some dried dill or chives if I’m out of green onion.
I go to Costco every 2 weeks, and always pick up a rotisserie chicken. The chicken salad is so easy to make with already cooked chicken! I usually meal prep it for work with crackers or freshly washed lettuce leaves to make lettuce cups if I want to cut the carbs. Super delicious
Thanks for another great recipe Holly!
I am so glad you love this recipe Laura!
Great start. The addition of dijon is brilliant. And dill is a must, not just optional. Dill really does belong in this salad and adds an amazing brightness…don’t skip it.
By my adding in fresh squeezed lemon and fresh cilantro brightened it up to a new level and made it superb. It’s delicious this way.
I gave three stars; 5 would have been earned with lemon and cilantro !
DELICIOUS. I made no adjustments to the recipe. The seasoned salt is the secret ingredient for me. Just made it for the 3rd time, and decided that I better rate it finally. Enjoy!
Made this tonight for a picnic lunch tomorrow :) I used leftover rotisserie chicken and I didn’t have Dijon so I subbed stone ground. I also traded half the mayo for Greek yogurt cause I’m difficult. I’m also pregnant so I chopped in pickles haha. It’s so good!
Does anyone have a gauge on the serving size for this recipe? I picked 12 servings, but there’s no specification on what a serving size is. 1/2 cup?
The serving size is ½ cup of chicken salad. Enjoy Evelyn!
Just what I wanted! Perfection.
Simple & Satisfying!
had a leftover sous vide chicken breast so. made this salad. i was out of celery so i used a little celery salt instead of seasoned salt and chopped in green onion and a shallot. amazingly good; thank you. next time i’ll be ready (meaning having celery on hand and will add some grapes as well.