This Buffalo chicken dip recipe is a favorite appetizer that’s ready just in time for the big game!
This appetizer is creamy, cheesy, loaded with chicken and the famously bright and tangy flavor of Buffalo sauce!
Delicious served warm and melty from the oven with tortilla chips, bread sticks, or veggies, this dip should be front and center of your snack table.
A Favorite Party Dip
Who doesn’t love a good plate of buffalo wings on game day? This dip takes the flavor from your favorite Buffalo chicken wings and turns them into a totally scoopable party dip!
- Easy to make: This recipe is super simple to make, prep it in two easy steps and bake!
- Prep ahead: Assemble up to 2 days before, refrigerate, and bake before serving!
- Scoop it, dip it, or spread it: Serve with tortilla chips, crackers or crostini; or keep it low carb with veggies like carrot sticks and celery sticks.
Ingredients for Buffalo Chicken Dip
Chicken – Buffalo dip is a great recipe for using up leftover chicken. You can often purchase shredded chicken in the deli at the grocery store or use rotisserie chicken or poached chicken breasts. If using canned chicken, drain it very well and fold it gently as it tends to break apart.
Cheese – Sharp cheddar pairs best with the bold flavor of the buffalo sauce. You can also mix and match a Mexican cheese blend, Swiss, Colby-Jack cheese, or some blue cheese crumbles! For a lighter, mix in some Greek yogurt with the cream cheese.
Sauce – Buffalo sauce is the star of this recipe. You can make it from scratch with butter and hot sauce or use Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Sauce as a quick alternative.
Seasonings – I add green onions and garlic powder but you can also sprinkle in a little bit of ranch seasoning mix or taco seasoning.
Add-ins – Loaded with cheesy goodness, buffalo chicken dip is also great with some diced green chiles, sliced jalapenos or diced peppers, bacon bits, or even some finely diced celery for crunch!
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Mix cream cheese, buffalo wing sauce, sour cream, & seasonings (as per recipe below).
- Fold in chicken & cheese.
- Top with extra cheese & bake until bubbly.
Other variations include Buffalo Ranch Chicken Dip or Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip.
What to Dip in Buffalo Chicken Dip
Create a colorful and crunchy platter of fresh veggies for dipping and offer some tortilla chips, toasted baguette slices, or homemade garlic cheese toast. Add a drizzle of ranch dressing or blue cheese.
How to Store
- Keep leftover buffalo chicken dip covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Give it a stir and enjoy it chilled or heat it in the microwave.
- You can freeze this buffalo chicken dip recipe in freezer bags for up to 8 weeks. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and serve cold or reheat as desired, adding fresh cheese, if desired.
More Hot u0026 Cheesy Dips
Did your guests love this Buffalo Chicken Dip? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
The Best Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- ⅔ cup buffalo sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken breast
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, blend the cream cheese, sour cream, buffalo sauce, and garlic powder together using a hand mixer until the mixture becomes fluffy.
- Stir in the shredded chicken, half of the cheddar cheese, half of the mozzarella cheese, and sliced green onions.
- Transfer the mixture to a small baking dish or pie plate.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese on top. Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Quickly soften cream cheese by microwaving it for 15 seconds on high.
- Mix the base with a hand mixer to keep it fluffy for dipping.
- Prepare the dip up to 48 hours ahead of time and bake when your guests arrive. Add a few minutes to the cooking time.
- In a hurry? Melt all of the ingredients on the stovetop. Stir in chicken, top with cheese, and broil.
- Crockpot variation: Add all ingredients to a 2qt slow cooker. Cook on low for 3 hours, stirring occasionally, and turn to warm once melted.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Looks delicious. Can’t wait to try it.
Can I freeze baked Buffalo Chicken Dip? I have a fair bit of leftover chicken I’d like to use up.
Hi Ruthielil, we have not tried freezing this dip but I think it should work fine. Once heated I would give it a good stir to ensure everything is well incorporated.
Thank you Roxanne! Enjoy!
I was wondering if you could put this together and refrigerate and then bake the next day.
Definitely! We love to make this recipe ahead of time!
Can this be put in a crock pot after baking?
Sure it can!
Hey guys! This dip is seriously the best we’ve ever had! We also used rotisserie chicken. We made a few changes, however. We added bacon crumbles, and carmelized onions. We didn’t add the green onion and celery. It was awesome!!
Yay, you made my day Hannah! Your additions sound amazing!
I made this last Sunday for just my husband and I while we were watching the Bears game. I wanted something quick and simple! I ended up buying a Rotisserie chicken to shred for this dish. I saw some comment below about canned chicken, (which I’ve also used in the past), and you can 100% absolutely notice the difference. Always go with rotisserie or cooked chicken!
You will get a lot of portions from this dip! It was sooo cheesy, and hit the spot for sure! The celery was a little different, and I think that’s just a matter of taste. My only wish was that I had actually added MORE chicken. We ended up using Asturi Bruschettini Toasts, which were too small to dip, but a great kind of crunch this dip needed. Overall, really tasty for a cold Chicago day. Thanks for sharing!
Glad you enjoyed it Nicole, thank you for sharing your tips!
Can you make it with canned chicken breast? If so, will it deminish the flavor of your dish?? I DEFINITELY don’t want to do that lol
Yes you can but I do find that the flavor (and texture) is not quite the same. Rotisserie chicken works well if you’re looking for something quicker.
The best buffalo chicken dip I’ve ever made! Everyone loved it and asked for the recipe!!
So glad the dip was such a hit Kathleen!
Chicken breast is always my favourite part to make buffalo chicken dip ❤ Super Yummy ~
Thank you Natalie!
Buffalo chicken dip is a big hit with my friends here in Australia. Love your recipes…
Thank you Brenda! I’m happy to hear you’re enjoying the blog!
The best buffalo dip I’ve ever made! Our favourite way to enjoy this dip is extra spicy and served with cucumbers! Thanks for the delicious recipe!
Yummy idea to serve this with cucumbers, totally low carb!! Thank you for sharing!
How did you cook your chicken breast.
My favorite way is poached chicken. Enjoy it Jackie!
This looks delish and perfect for the Super Bowl!
Thank you Averie!! We LOVE this dip!
I consider myself a buffalo chicken dip conniseur and this is the best dip I’ve ever had!! Will always use this recipe going forward! Yum! The perfect balance of cheesy creamy and spicy without having too much acidity!
Made this tonight for Super Bowl! Delish!
im going to try this for wildcard weekend of course i will have to use louisiana hotsauce im a louisiana girl!
I’m so glad you posted this! This is my newest addiction. Soooooo yummy!!!
Oh I absolutely love buffalo chicken dip. I can’t wait to give this recipe a try!