I love this twist on traditional Boston Cream Pie! These are great to put out for guests yet are very simple to put together.
If you don’t have the time to make your own custard, you can replace it with instant pudding (see notes below). That being said, the custard is delicious and totally worth making yourself! It is not difficult and takes about 1o minutes (plus cooling time).
You will probably have some chocolate ganache left over. It’s great for the kids to dip fruit into as dessert and can be reheated on 30% power in the microwave.
I made both the cookies and the custard the night before and it only took a few minutes to put together the next day!
Click print here ↓
Boston Cream Pie Cookies
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great recipes!
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup sugar divided
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix cake mix, eggs and oil.
- Divide into 20 even pieces, roll into balls and place on a parchment lined pan. Bake 6-8 minutes or just until done. Cool completely.
- Over medium heat, combine milk and 1/4 cup sugar. Bring just to a boil.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks with 1/4 cup sugar and vanilla. Add in cornstarch until completely mixed and smooth.
- Add 1 cup of the hot milk to the yolks and stir well. Pour the yolk mixture back into the pot and whisk continuously over medium heat until mixture thickens. Cool slightly in the pot, stir and cool completely in the fridge (I cooled it in a Ziploc bag).
- Heat the heavy cream in the microwave just until boiling. Pour over the chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Spread a generous amount of cold custard on each cooled cookie. Dip into the chocolate and let set.
- Store in the fridge if you are not serving right away.