The Best Uses for Various Types of Onions
Love it? Pin it to SAVE it!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
Add your own great tips in the comments below!
Oh, onions are so tasty. They are flavorful, inexpensive and versatile. But, if you don’t know what you are doing, you may wonder what the different types of onions are best for. If your head spins every time you walk through the produce aisle, this quick guide will help you know which onions to choose for which dishes and how they should be served.
1. Red Onions: are pretty and add a touch of color to any dish. They are delicious raw. You can use them in salads, sandwiches, guacamole or salsas. They also very yummy grilled or roasted and will stay that pretty purple/red color.
2. Yellow Onions: are flavorful and can be used for, literally, any dish or recipe. They add a sweet flavor to food and are delicious roasted and sauteed! Add them to in pasta sauces, soups, sauces, stews or roasted meat.
3. Scallions (also known as green onions): have a mild flavor and are often used raw or as a garnish. They are often used in Asian dishes and add a touch of color and yumminess to pretty much anything.
4. Vidalia onions (aka Walla Walla or sweet onions) : are extremely sweet and are tasty raw or cooked. They are yummy as onion rings (plus they are nice and thick making them an ideal choice!) and they caramelize beautifully to create delicious sautés and french onion soup.
5. Shallots: have a bold flavor and are perfect in sauces. You’ll often find these in french or Asian cuisine. They are versatile can also be sautéed and added to veggies or gravies.
6. Leeks: are best served cooked. They are not really tasty raw. They are delicious when used for stews and soups and add delicious flavor to stocks and braising liquids. I love partially steaming them and then topping them with olive oil and parmesan and roasting them in the oven!