Apple Pie Tacos are such a fun twist on a classic apple pie recipe!
The shells of these tacos are made from tortillas cut with a round cookie cutter and fried crisp and dusted with cinnamon sugar. They only take about 20 seconds each to make and can be made days ahead of time.
I made a homemade filling but you can definitely use canned filling to make these quick! If you are having a party, you can keep the filling warm in a small slow cooker with the shells beside and people can fill them as they like or set a mini muffin tin upside down and cover it with a pretty cloth napkin as a holder (that is what I used in the photos above, worked perfectly!)
Click print here ↓
New: I’ve added my own homemade apple pie filling recipe to the site! This easy recipe is made on the stove top and makes the equivalent of one store bought can of pie filling!
Items You’ll Need For This Recipe
Apple Pie Tacos
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 1 cup oil for frying
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 21 oz apple pie filling 1 can, chopped coarsely
- 3 large apples
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ cup water (divided)
- frozen whipped topping
- caramel sauce (store bought or homemade)
- Using a 3.5" circle cutter, cut out circles from your tortillas. You should get about 5 from each tortilla. (You can use any size cutter but this was the perfect size for a 2-3 bite taco).
- Combine sugar & cinnamon in a bowl and set aside. Heat about 1 ½" of oil in a pan on the stove over medium heat. Use a little scrap of tortilla to put in the oil and make sure it's good & bubbly.
- Using tongs, place one circle in the oil for about 5 seconds. Flip it over and fold it in half holding it folded for about 5 seconds or until browned. Flip over and fry the other side until crispy. Immediately remove from the oil giving it a little shake and place into the cinnamon sugar.
- Set on a pan to cool. You can leave these at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Peel and dice apples. Toss with lemon juice.
- Over medium heat stir together butter, chopped apples, cinnamon and brown sugar. Add about ¼ cup water and let cook on medium heat for about 4 minutes. Stir 1 teaspoon cornstarch into remaining water and add to pan. Continue cooking until most of the liquid is gone and apples are soft.
- (see note below for serving suggestions) Fill each taco shell with about 2 tablespoons of pie filling (will vary based on shell size) and top with frozen whipped topping and a drizzle of caramel sauce if desired.
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Place a mini muffin tin upside down (if desired you can line the tin with a cloth napkin to look pretty as I did in the photos above). Fill each taco with warm pie filling and top with frozen whipped topping. Lightly drizzle with caramel sauce. Nutrition calculated using 1 cup oil for frying and without whipped topping or caramel sauce. Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.