Looking for a sweet and refreshing side dish or dessert?
This Ambrosia Salad recipe is just the thing! It combines pineapple, coconut, mandarin oranges, and mini marshmallows in a creamy base.
What is Ambrosia Salad?
Ambrosia means ‘food of the gods,’ and this version is a family favorite.
- Despite its name, ambrosia salad is a a sweet fluff salad that is dessert-like and often served as a side for Easter, Thanksgiving or at potlucks.
- This salad, aka 5-cup salad needs just 5 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep.
- It’s perfect for holidays and potlucks since it’s best made ahead of time.
Ingredients for Ambrosia Salad
- Yogurt/Sour Cream – The creamy base starts with either sour cream or Greek yogurt. Our family has always used sour cream, which is sweetened by the marshmallows. Feel free to try vanilla yogurt or whipped topping (such as Cool Whip) in place.
- Fruit – Our family’s recipe for Ambrosia Salad has coconut shreds, mandarin oranges, and pineapple, but you can mix things up with fruit cocktail or canned peaches. For a fresh flavor, stir in fresh fruit like grapes, bananas, blueberries, or strawberries.
- Additions – While this recipe is delicious on its own, you can add other ingredients. Try adding maraschino cherries or nuts like walnuts or pecans to give it a bit of extra crunch and flavor.
How to Make Ambrosia Salad
Ambrosia Fruit Salad is a great side to whip up if you are short on time!
- Drain the pineapple and oranges (per the recipe below).
- Add all ingredients except oranges and mix well. Gently fold in oranges.
- Let chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
Tips for Ambrosia Salad
- Be sure to make this salad ahead of time to blend the flavors and soften the marshmallows.
- Drain the canned fruit so the dish isn’t watery.
- Gently fold in the mandarin oranges last, as they can be fragile and break apart.
Easy Ambrosia Salad
- 1 cup sour cream or plain or vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup mini marshmallows fruit flavored or white
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup canned pineapple tidbits well drained
- 1 cup canned mandarin orange segments well drained
- In a medium bowl, mix sour cream, marshmallows, coconut, and pineapple tidbits.
- Gently fold in mandarin oranges.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Serve chilled.
- Make this salad ahead and store in the fridge to blend the flavors and soften the marshmallows.
- Drain all fruit well so the dish isn’t watery.
- Gently fold in the mandarin oranges last, they can be fragile and break apart.
- Use Greek yogurt or plain yogurt, or sour cream for the base. I prefer sour cream.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.