12 Great Uses for Baking Soda!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Love it? Pin it to SAVE it!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
Leave your own great tips in the comments below!
Baking soda shows up in lots of recipes and millions of refrigerators around the world. It eats odors and helps your baked goods turn out just perfect. So what else is baking soda good for?
1. Clean your brushes: Baking soda is a great cleaning agent, and can help your scrub your brushes and combs free of buildup from mousse and other products. Just mix baking soda with a little water to make a paste, and rub the surface of the comb with a toothbrush.
2. Sunburn: Relieve the itch of insect bites and sunburn with baking soda paste. Make it by mixing a little water into some baking soda, then run it right into the affected area. This can also help with rashes and poison ivy itches too!
3. Clean the toilet: Add 1 cup of baking soda and 1 cup of white distilled vinegar to your toilet at the same time. It will bubble and fizz, and will scrub the toilet clean! This will not only clean the toilet bowl, but will also keep the pipes clear of build up if used regularly. Add both to your toilet once a week and never have a back up again!
4. Clean your Tupperware: Over time, your plastic Tupperware will get tinted from spaghetti sauce or other things, tinting the clear plastic orange or yellow. Get rid of the tint by scrubbing the inside with baking soda paste. The paste will help to pull the old food particles and color out of plastic, and will eliminate any odors that might still be present.
5. Clean your mug: If you have a coffee mug that you love, it may be stained brown from all of the coffee and tea you have put in it over the years. The dishwasher won’t get out the stain, but soaking it in baking soda and water will! Drop about a 1 tablespoon of baking soda in your mug, then fill it with warm water. Scrub out the inside after about an hour, or drop it into the dishwasher. Your mug will shine like new.
6. Add to your toothpaste: A little baking soda added into your toothpaste gives your pearly whites an extra scrub and helps whiten them! Not to worry, baking soda is softer than the outer layers of your teeth which means you can shine them up without causing damage!
7. Laundry Booster: Add 1/2 cup of baking soda to each load of laundry to get better results from liquid detergents! By balancing the pH, you’ll get bright cleaner clothes!
8. Clean off crayon: Did the kids decide to draw you a mural on your dining room wall in crayon? What a mess! Clean it up with baking soda paste made from warm water and baking soda. Scrub gently with a cloth or sponge and it will come right out!
9. Clean your Produce: Veggies and fruits, whether from the farmer’s market or grocery store, should be cleaned before consuming. Fill a bucket or the sink with cool water, and then add 3 tablespoons or so of baking soda. Let the fruit or veggies soak for a few minutes before wiping them down with a clean cloth.
10. Clean your Shoes: You can clean your sneakers with baking soda paste to remove the scuffs on the outside. You can also clean scuff off of pumps and boots as well. While you’re at it, sprinkle a little baking soda inside the shoe to remove any odors inside the shoe.
11. Keep the bugs away: Sprinkle a little bit of baking soda in the backs of your cabinets to keep roaches and other yucky bugs at bay. Roaches die if they consume baking soda, so it is a great deterrent.
12. Deodorize your home: Use baking soda to deodorize everything…
- Your fridge (leave an open box tucked in the back)
- Your cutting boards (sprinkle, add enough water to make a paste and scrub.. with a lemon for an extra boost)
- Your garbage disposal (fill the disposal with ice, sprinkle liberally with baking soda. Add water and lemon juice. Turn the water and disposal on to make it squeaky clean.
- You garbage can (sprinkle a little in the bottom of the can or in the bottom of each fresh new bag!)