I love making egg rolls. I think they’re such a fun finger food and people always just LOVE them! The other day I was unpacking groceries and sitting next to one another on the counter were egg roll wrappers and taco seasoning… and I though… HEY!!!!!! Why not?
I’m telling you, these were a HUGE hit! My kids adored them and so did I!
I have found two types of egg roll wrappers… one type I have purchase are a little stretchy and doughy… and a second type always seem kind of dry and papery. The stretchy ones work much better, I find the papery ones are dry and sometimes crack. You may have to try a couple brands. Egg roll wrappers are often found in the deli or with the tofu products in the veggie area. Most stores have them but you may need to ask.
Taco Egg Rolls
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 20 egg roll wrappers mine were 5″x5″
- 2 cups cheese shredded (cheddar, monterey jack, tex mex blend all work well)
- oil for frying
- Brown ground beef and onions until no pink remains. Add in green peppers, taco seasoning, salsa and water as required on the package. Cook until water evaporates.
- Lay each egg roll wrapper out with a corner pointing towards you. Place 1 ½ tablespoons of cheese and 1 ½ tablespoons taco filling in the center of each wrapper. Fold in the sides and roll the wrapper tightly. Use a dab of water to secure the tip of the wrapper. (If you don’t know how to roll an egg roll it usually shows on the package).
NOTE: IT IS IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE THE SIDES OF THE WRAPPER ARE TUCKED IN HOLDING THE INGREDIENTS IN. IF THEY LEAK, IT CAN CAUSE SPLATTERING.
- Preheat oil to 350°F. Fry each egg roll for about 4-5 minutes or until browned and crispy.
- Serve hot with sour cream and salsa!