Sweet and Sour Chicken is one of those dishes that once you start eating, you almost can’t stop. Similar to Skillet Orange Chicken, this recipe has tender chunks of chicken in a deliciously sweet sauce.
The Perfect Homemade Meal
There is nothing quite like sweet and sour chicken, all of my kids love it.
This Sweet and Sour Chicken is the perfect dish to make at home with loads of juicy pineapple, peppers and tender chicken in a tangy sweet and sour sauce.
This recipe comes from Good Fast Eats written by Amy who blogs over at Belly Full.
Stir Fry for a Quick Meal
If your evenings are anything like mine, this book is going to become a staple in your kitchen. The recipes are super quick allowing fresh family dinners on the table every night of the week!
Don’t be afraid to change out the veggies for your favorites or whatever you have on hand!
To Make Sweet & Sour Chicken
This sweet and sour chicken recipe is unbelievably easy and delicious! Within 30 minutes you can have this on the table for a delicious and economical dinner!
- Chicken & Veggies: Add chicken to cornstarch (this tenderizes it and I use this technique in my other stir fry recipes) Prep veggies (most stores sell fresh stir-fry veggies that are ready to go).
- Sauce: Combine sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Cook: Cook chicken and then cook veggies. Add sauce and let it thicken. So easy!
Serve over rice.
More Homemade Favorites
- Easy Pepper Steak
- Beef and Broccoli
- Chicken Lo Mein
- Shrimp Stir Fry
- Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
- Crispy Homemade Egg Roll
Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- ⅓ cup rice wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 ½ tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 8 ounces pineapple chunks drained, juice reserved
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ½ pound boneless chicken breast cut into chunks
- salt and pepper
- 1 small red bell pepper cut into one inch strips
- 1 small green bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 small sweet onion cut into strips
- cooked white rice optional
- sesame seeds for garnish optional
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and water until combined. Whisk in rice wine vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, brown sugar and reserved pineapple juice.
- In a large skillet heat the vegetable oil over medium high heat. Toss the chicken in the remaining ½ tablespoon of cornstarch and season with salt and pepper.
- Add to the skillet and cook without stirring for 2-3 minutes. Mix and continue to cook for 6 -7 minutes. With a slotted spoon transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add red bell pepper, green bell pepper and onion to the skillet; cook for 3 minutes or until vegetables soften. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the sweet and sour sauce mixture, along with the pineapple chunks. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes to warm thoroughly and allow the sauce to thicken slightly. Add the chicken back to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Serve over cooked white rice.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!