Mini Meatloaf Muffins are a fun and fabulous twist on our favorite meatloaf recipe. They are the perfect for a weeknight dinner because they cook quickly and they’re great to pop into your lunch box.
Topped with an amazing sweet n’ zesty glaze, the meatloaf muffin recipe here is a cinch to make and perfect alongside your fave Mashed Potatoes recipe.
Glaze for Meatloaf
I prefer a tomato based topping, a little sweet and a lot zesty. This recipe uses a bit of chili sauce which is not spicy. If you’ve never had it, it’s amazing… similar to a very zesty ketchup. It’s honestly my favorite part of meatloaf!
Favorite Meatloaf Toppings:
- Zesty Topping: 1/3 cup ketchup, 1/3 cup chili sauce, 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Brown Sugar Topping: 1/3 cup ketchup, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- BBQ Topping: combine equal parts bbq sauce and ketchup
How to Cook Meatloaf in Muffin Tins?
Cooking meatloaf in muffin tins is super simple. Substitute ground beef for ground turkey or chicken, and prepare the same way!
- Glaze: Prepare the glaze by whisking together ketchup, chili sauce and brown sugar and set aside.
- Prep: Dice the veggies and combine all ingredients well, with ½ the glaze mixture, reserving the other half for topping.
- Bake: Divide the mixture among the muffin wells, top with glaze, and bake!
Remove when done and allow to rest for several minutes before serving.
How Long To Cook Mini Meatloaf
Another reason to love muffin tin meatloaf is that it cooks a lot faster than conventional meatloaf. It should take about 22 – 26 minutes in a preheated 425°F oven.
It’s a good idea to use a meat thermometer when cooking ground meat or poultry. Meatloaf muffins are done when the centers register 160°F for ground beef or 165°F for ground poultry.
Can I Freeze Meatloaf Muffins?
This mini meatloaf recipe is practically tailor-made for the freezer, either as a make-ahead meal or for leftovers.
- Freezing Cooked: After cooling, pack your cooked muffin tin meatloaf in freezer bags and remove as few or as many as you need anytime you want a convenient meal or snack.
- Freezing Raw: You can also freeze muffin pan meatloaf raw for cooking later. Place the pan filled with the meatloaf in the freezer to harden. When hardened, transfer into freezer bags or containers.
- Defrosting: For best results, defrost before reheating either in the refrigerator or by putting it in a sealed freezer bag in a cold water bath, changing the water every ½ hour until thawed through. Then, just pop them back into the muffin tins, cover with foil and reheat at 350°F for 20 minutes.
The best part about this easy freezer meals – they’ll keep for up to three months! So make lots and save some for a busy day.
More Delicious Meatloaf Recipes
- The Best Meatloaf Recipe – Classic perfection
- Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf – everything is better with bacon!
- Delicious Turkey Meatloaf – 3 ingredient sauce!
- Savory Meatloaf – made with beef & turkey
- Crockpot Meatloaf – just set it and forget it!
- ½ onion finely diced
- 1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
- ½ green pepper finely diced
- ¾ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- salt & pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- ⅓ cup chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease a muffin pan and set aside.
- Combine glaze ingredients. Set aside.
- Cook onion over medium heat in 1 tablespoon olive oil for 5 minutes or until tender (this step is optional but produces a milder onion flavor). Cool completely.
- Combine all ingredients plus 1/4 cup of the glaze mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Divide mixture over 10 muffin wells. Top each meatloaf with 1 tablespoon glaze mixture.
- Bake 22-26 minutes or until cooked through and beef is 160°F. Rest 5 minutes before serving.